Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations
Princeton University seeks nominations and applications for the position of Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations. Reporting to the Provost, the Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations will help to design and administer partnerships, policies, and programs that advance the international dimensions of Princeton's research and teaching missions and enhance the University's global connections.Responsibilities
The Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations will play a vital role on the Provost's senior administrative team and be involved with all aspects of the University's international mission. Specific duties for the Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations include the following:
- Cooperate with the President, Provost, and other key university officials to identify and resolve issues related to international programs.
- Oversee the Davis International Center, the Princeton China Center, the Mpala Research Centre, and a new campus unit, Global Safety and Security.
- Serve as Secretary to the Council on International Teaching and Research.
- Meet with officials from foreign universities, both in Princeton and at their home institutions, to forge new links and maintain existing relationships between Princeton and those universities.
- Negotiate complex agreements and cooperative arrangements with foreign institutions.
- Assist with the oversight and administration of multi-million-dollar budgets that support international programs.
- Consult with academic and administrative leaders to foster and support new ventures in international teaching and research.
- Work with academic leaders and senior administrators to implement new policies and revise existing ones with the goal of making Princeton more hospitable to international activities.
- Communicate through online, print, and other media to make Princeton's international programs more visible and accessible, both within the University community and outside it.
Strengths and Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and coordinate the development and implementation of academic programs and administrative policies through constructive engagement across the University.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, appreciate, and support the mission, traditions, culture, and interactions of an academic community.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Experience managing budgets, making decisions, negotiating mutually acceptable deals, and bridging diverse academic needs that depend upon the allocation of critical resources.
- Ability to build and maintain trust and credibility with all constituencies - faculty, staff, and administration of the University as well as the external community - through collaboration, and excellent listening and communication skills.
- Ability to work with individuals and institutions from diverse cultures and different parts of the world.
- Patience and flexibility to engage subordinates, superiors, and peers in decision-making processes, and strength to make difficult and sometimes unpopular decisions while maintaining trust and respect.
- A PhD or terminal professional degree is preferred.
- A minimum of six years of professional experience in academic administration is required.
- A thorough understanding of standards, processes, and best practices in study abroad and international student and scholar services is strongly preferred.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAWSalary GradeADM, 090Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo