PT LABORATORY TECHNICAN II (50%) Physics/Astronomy
El Camino College
PT LABORATORY TECHNICAN II (50%) Physics/Astronomy
DIVISION: NATURAL SCIENCES
Closing Date: September 23, 2019
Complete job description and application available online at: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
Under the direction of an assigned Dean or supervisor, perform specialized and technical duties related to the operation and maintenance of an instructional laboratory; design and develop experiments and demonstrations; operate, service, adjust and modify equipment used in a specialized subject area.
The Laboratory Technician II provides advanced-level technical resources to faculty members and students, designing experiments and demonstrations, repairing and fabricating technical and complex equipment and researching sources of materials and supplies.
• Conceptualize, design and develop prototype experiments and demonstrations in a specialty field as requested by instructors; fabricate equipment used in laboratory demonstrations.
• Serve as a technical resource to departmental faculty and staff; coordinate, maintain and oversee specialized services and activities; participate with instructors to design, develop and carryout demonstrations and experiments.
• Operate, service, adjust and modify specialized equipment; design and fabricate parts as needed. • Determine requirements for new and replacement equipment; research vendors, costs, availability and product specifications; recommend the purchase of equipment, supplies and materials; receive and process new supplies and equipment.
• Keep abreast of changing conditions in the field of specialty and made recommendations to keep ECC’s programs current.
• Compile information for the division budget; sell materials to students; maintain records, reports and lists as assigned; inventory equipment and supplies periodically.
• Prepare instructional materials and equipment for teachers’ demonstration; assist with complex hazardous experiments as requested.
• Maintain storeroom and work areas in a safe, clean and orderly condition.
• Train and provide work direction to student workers as assigned.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
• Principles, practices, procedures and equipment of assigned subject area.
• Safety regulations involving area of specialty.
• Operation, maintenance, repair and calibration of technical equipment.
• Principles and practices of providing work direction and training.
• Record-keeping techniques.
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
• Safe and proper use and storage of hazardous and toxic materials as it relates to the job duties.
• Perform specialized and technical duties to assure efficient lab operations.
• Provide technical information and assistance to faculty and staff.
• Assure the care and security of assigned equipment, materials and supplies.
• Design and develop experiments and demonstrations.
• Set up, service, adjust, modify and repair specialized equipment and instruments.
• Research and evaluate new equipment and supplies.
• Plan and organize work.
• Work independently with little direction.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
• Meet schedules and time lines.
• Maintain records and prepare reports.
• Train and provide work direction to others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree in an area of specialization or combination of coursework and work experience.
Outdoors, classroom and laboratory settings.
Exposed to cool temperatures.
Exposed to various chemicals.
Standing for prolonged periods of time.
Moving from different classrooms.
SALARY RANGE: $2,203 per month.
Employees contribute 7% of their earnings toward the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is designated as part time, twelve-month, classified position. Excellent fringe benefits. Work schedule is Monday through Thursday from 4:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
Offer and acceptance of employment is subject to verification of all information provided on the employment application, credential(s), transcripts, fingerprint results, and tuberculosis examination as required. Candidates selected for employment must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis test results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States, and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Applicants must submit the following documents by the closing date:
1) Online application: https://elcamino.igreentree.com/css_classified
2) Resume - Resumes are NOT accepted in place of any part of the application and you should complete all sections of the application even if the entries duplicate information on your resume.
3) Pertinent transcripts (only in pdf format) as stated in the job qualifications if applicant holds one. (Unofficial computer-generated academic records/transcripts must include the name of the institution and degrees awarded to be acceptable.) Multiple page transcripts must be loaded as ONE pdf document.
Applicants with disabilities requiring special accommodations must contact Human Resources at least five (5) working days prior to the final filing date.
If you should need assistance please call (310) 660-3593 Ext. 5809 or visit the office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
CLOSING DATE: Monday, September 23, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
El Camino College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The El Camino Community College District is committed to providing an educational and employment environment in which no person is subjected to discrimination on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, creed, age (over 40), disability (mental or physical), sex, gender (including pregnancy and childbirth), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status, or retaliation; or on any other basis as required by state and federal law.