Vice President for Communications and Marketing
The Vice President for Communications & Marketing is the senior-most executive responsible for communications, marketing, branding, and public relations, serving as a member of the President’s Cabinet. The incumbent will be charged with shaping and advancing the Institute’s message and brand within its community and driving local, state, national, and global communications. As a dynamic leader, the Vice President’s goal will be to reinforce existing communications strengths and further establish innovative, substantive, and proactive messaging across all communication platforms.
As a strategic advisor, the Vice President will serve as a communications and marketing resource for the President and the Institute’s senior leadership. This person will be responsible for setting and communicating the direction of the Institute’s communications through the creation of a vision and strategic priorities that reflect the Institute’s mission, vision, and strategic plan, addressing target audiences and key stakeholders, as well as ensuring alignment and consistency of communications across the institution. The Vice President will also cultivate and sustain beneficial and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders to advance the Institute’s strategic communications priorities.
- Provide vision, leadership, and counsel for Institute communications and marketing in alignment with the Institute’s strategic plan. Enhance and communicate the mission, vision, and initiatives for the Institute’s communications unit to ensure alignment with strategic priorities
- Serve as the President’s senior-most executive and Chief Spokesperson for communications and marketing, with responsibility for oversight and direction
- Formulate and manage a comprehensive media relations strategy and program at the local, state, national, and global levels encompassing print, television, and social media outlets. Engage with key print, broadcast, and digital media outlets, both proactively and reactively, and provide media training to Institute leaders and faculty
- Collaborate to strengthen, align, and guide the Institute’s overall and departmental brands through strategic marketing activities. Ensure brand standards are maintained and consistent throughout the organization
- Take a research-based approach to identify key messages and audiences, and work consistently to tell Institute stories, weaving them together to create a consistent, unified message in support of the Rose-Hulman brand to a broad range of targeted, diverse audiences
- Work with Institute senior leaders, faculty, and staff to assess the Institute’s communications and marketing needs and identify strong messages, compelling stories, and key audiences
- Collaborate across all departments – with specific focus on admissions, development and alumni affairs, administrative, academic affairs, and athletics – to align messages and to promote key initiatives of the Institute
- Reinforce a culture of excellence, innovation, and creativity, one that is proactive and quick to mobilize around important issues facing the Institute at all levels
- Anticipate, prepare for, preempt, and mitigate issues with the potential to negatively impact the Institute’s reputation. Oversee issues-management and crisis communications plans and advise senior leaders in the event of a crisis
- Lead strategy and provide oversight for internal communications to ensure that faculty, staff, alumni, students, and their families are kept informed of the Institute’s goals, objectives, and progress. This will include the maintenance and enhancement of the framework and content for the internal and external websites.
- Develop benchmark criteria and track and evaluate the effectiveness of communications and marketing strategies on a regular basis
- Plan, develop, and implement marketing, communications, community relations, and digital strategies for Rose-Hulman while monitoring the success of these strategies
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Office of Marketing and Communications including staff supervision and evaluation, workflow efficiency, budgeting, planning, and professional development
- Develop and mentor staff performance based on goals, objectives, and priorities
- At least 10 years of progressive experience managing communications and/or marketing in a complex, dynamic environment required; STEM oriented background preferred. Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred. Experience in higher education and/or non-profits a real plus.
- A holistic understanding of all aspects of communications, positioning, and messaging, including industry best practices in both traditional and emerging media platforms and experience with state-of-the-art communications and CRM technology. Demonstrated experience with digital communications strategies, data analytics and measurements, and new media
- Proven ability to lead, including partnering across peer leadership groups and deploying resources to support individual units as well as enterprise wide. Ability to forge effective relationships, influence, and collaborate internally and externally at all levels
- Demonstrated senior leadership experience designing and executing a strategic communications plan in a complex, decentralized organization with varied priorities and stakeholders
- Experience managing teams and budgets in a complex organization. This includes experience hiring, developing, and retaining high-performing professional teams, as well as evaluation and retention of existing teams
- Outstanding management and planning skills, including the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent and nuanced writing ability and range. Strong interpersonal skills and persuasive presentation and public speaking skills
Applications: Only online applications/resumes will be accepted at: https://jobs.rose-hulman.edu. We appreciate your interest in Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology.