Chief Information Officer
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) serves as a strategic partner to W&M leadership in meeting and anticipating the technology needs of students, faculty and staff in a manner that positions W&M to be a leading international university. Reporting to the Vice President for Finance & Technology with a strategic reporting line to the president, the CIO serves as an important member of the president’s cabinet.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
- the ability to think strategically about the use of technology in teaching, learning, research, and operations with a commitment to cost-effective innovation and transformational results;
- demonstrated accomplishments in bringing diverse constituent groups together to identify and implement university-wide IT solutions;
- a clear track record of collaborative work with university leaders and the ability to advance change when needed;
- strong technical knowledge and previous experience successfully managing technical teams;
- experience in managing complex projects while setting appropriate expectations for resource needs and project timelines;
- ability to establish good relationships with vendors and manage those relationship effectively to support the university’s needs; and
*effective communication skills aligned with the different needs of multiple audiences.
The successful candidate will also have:
- a master’s degree in computer science, information systems, information technology management, business administration or other related field or comparable experience;
*a minimum of 10 years of progressive experience and achievement in managing a complex technology organization(s); and
- demonstrated senior level experience in managing multiple IT functions, personnel, budgets, business services, communications, and strategic planning.
Priority will be given to candidates who demonstrate the following abilities:
- Experience working at a higher education institution is strongly preferred.
- Experience with major project implementations, including ERP implementation is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in recruiting, developing and retaining a team.
- Experience in leading change projects.
William & Mary is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access employer and actively encourages applications from minorities, women, disabled persons and veterans.