Dean of the Graduate College
About Arkansas Tech University
Founded in 1909, Arkansas Tech University is a comprehensive public institution with a rich history; it has the distinction of being the third largest and one of the fastest-growing universities in the state. Located in Russellville, ATU is dedicated to student success, access, and excellence as a responsive campus community providing opportunities for progressive intellectual development and civic engagement. Embracing and expanding upon its technological traditions, ATU inspires and empowers members of the community to achieve their goals while striving for the betterment of Arkansas, the nation and the world. Arkansas Tech serves approximately 12,000 students (11,000 undergraduate and 1,000 graduate) through its campuses in Russellville and Ozark. On its main Russellville campus, ATU offers more than 120 undergraduate programs of study and more than 25 graduate degree options in its Colleges of Arts and Humanities, Business, Education, Engineering and Applied Sciences, eTech, Natural and Health Sciences and the Graduate College.
ATU’s 559-acre campus is small enough that students receive individual attention, yet large enough to provide a quality education. Its graduation rate is among the highest in the state and region. The student-faculty ratio is 19:1, with 44.3 percent of classes having fewer than 20 students.
ATU is ranked No. 1 in Arkansas and among the top five percent of institutions nationally in social mobility as it relates to providing students with access to an enhanced socioeconomic status after graduation. Among its many accomplishments, the university has increased new gifts and pledges to the Arkansas Tech University Foundation by 33 percent from $2.5 million in 2015-16 to $3.4 million in 2016-17. In Fall 2017, ATU received a $1.3 million grant to become the first institution in Arkansas to offer a Veterans Upward Bound program, and was awarded the League of United Latin American Citizens University Service Award. It is the leading university in Arkansas for Arkansans enrolled in STEM, and in 2019 was the host institution for the prestigious Arkansas Governor’s School.
The university boasts a vibrant and varied student life, offering more than 100 Registered Student Organizations representing a variety of interests: Academic/Professional, Fine Arts, Fraternity/Sorority, Honorary, Multicultural, Recreational, Religious, Special Interest, and Student Governance. Athletically ATU’s teams, known as the Wonder Boys (men) and Golden Suns (women), compete in 10 NCAA Division II sports and are five-time Great American Conference All-Sports Trophy winners (2012-16). The university offers strong intramural and club sports programs as well.
For more information about the University, visit https://www.atu.edu
About the Position
Arkansas Tech University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the Graduate College with an expected start date of January 2020. The Dean reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The ideal candidate will have leadership experience as an academic dean, assistant dean, graduate coordinator or department head/chairperson that led to graduate program growth, program development, increased academic quality, pedagogical innovation, external funding opportunities, and online delivery. Doctorate in a discipline offered by one of the colleges required.
Early Opportunities Include
• Working with the Enrollment Management division to grow enrollment, and increase the academic and diversity profile of graduate applicants, admitted students, and those who ultimately matriculate
• Fostering an environment that sustains the academic, personal, and professional achievement of graduate students to include pursuing advanced graduate work and career development
• Promoting interdisciplinary program development
• Maintaining external relationships that serve the regional graduate program needs
• Evaluating the Graduate College’s resources and strategic alignment with the ATU Strategic Plan
• Examining online graduate program demand and fostering the development of programs to meet those demands
• Develop long-range plans for the Graduate College that are consistent with the University Strategic Plan
• Cooperate with other colleges to develop initiatives relating to graduate student recruitment and student services
• Provide guidance for the Graduate Council including curriculum and graduate faculty credentials
• Develop working relationships with graduate advisors, department heads, program coordinators, and offices that assist in achieving goals and objectives
• Provide oversight for the academic integrity of all graduate programs
• Promote the success of the Graduate College to all constituencies across multiple modes of communication
• Represent graduate education on appropriate university committees and participate in policy development
• Appropriately manage budgets and College staff
• Be a collegial member of the Deans’ Council
• Complete special projects as assigned
The Graduate College of ATU has experienced record successes in recent years under the leadership of Dr. Mary Gunter, who is now serving as Chief of Staff. These include Fall 2017 record enrollment of 1,050 students, designation as a Southeastern Regional Education Board (SREB) level three institution, and ATU’s first doctoral degree (Ed.D. in Leadership).
The College, with a Fall 2018 enrollment of approximately 950 students – its second-highest ever - offers 27 programs, including Ed.D. in Leadership, and 3 graduate certificates. Its mission is to encourage a diversity of ideas in a climate of academic freedom and integrity. Advanced degrees are designed to complement and enhance undergraduate programs.
To view the complete position profile, go to
To apply for this position, visit https://www.highereducationleadershipsearch.com/candidate-portal-form.
To nominate someone for this position, e-mail: [email protected]
John Thornell, Ph.D. and Alan Medders, Ph.D. will be assisting the University with the search. If you have questions or would like to have a confidential conversation about the position, call 256-239-2305 or e-mail [email protected] or [email protected] Arkansas Tech University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and specifically invites applications from women, minorities, veterans and people with disabilities.
Review of applications will begin on October 18, 2019.