Director of Development, SIU Foundation, Athletics
The Southern Illinois University Foundation invites applications for the Director of Development, SIU Foundation-Athletics position. The individual in this position is responsible for a portfolio of major gift prospects and is expected to identify, cultivate and solicit private financial support from alumni and friends of Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The successful candidate will be a member of the development staff and report to the associate vice chancellor for development and work in conjunction with the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. Extensive travel, including nights and weekends, is required. The salary for this position is commensurate with experience with both internal equity and external competitiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Orchestrate and execute the advancement of relationships with prospective donors through appropriate stages of qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship culminating in private philanthropic support.
- In consultation with the Vice Chancellor for Development and Alumni Relations, and the associate vice chancellor (AVC), identify and establish personal contact with current and prospective major gift donors whose interest and financial capacity align with university and foundation goals.
- Secure new gifts and commitments for SIU Carbondale. Conduct documented face-to-face personal visits, qualify new major gift prospects annually, and submit major proposals. Manage a large portfolio of prospects.
- Collaborate with appropriate development and academic staff to develop prospect strategies and build relationships.
- Set specific goals and objectives to effectively advance solicitation of major gifts.
- Develop a working knowledge of planned giving and work with the foundation's planned giving director to develop strategies for appropriate solicitation of planned gifts.
- Become familiar with and understand key initiatives of the university relating to faculty, students, instruction and research.
- Prepare proposals and gift agreements as required for proper gift documentation.
- Ensure effective records maintenance, including timely filing of requests for prospect assignments, prospect strategies and contact reports using SIU Foundation’s prospect management system.
- Provide stewardship of gifts including acknowledgment, coordination of recognition events, and dedications.
- Report regularly on the progress of annual action plans.
- Meet annual metrics and goals established at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Participate in weekly development staff meetings, monthly one-on-one meetings, a mid-year performance discussion and a performance evaluation with the associate vice chancellor.
- Protect confidential information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree and a minimum of two years' successful professional experience in fundraising or related non-profit organization work, alumni relations, public relations, marketing, or closely related field. A bachelor's or master's degree in non-profit management or closely related subject may be substituted for the two years of experience. Must have a valid driver's license.
Preferred Qualifications: Professional fundraising experience in higher education, health-care or other non-profit organization.