Director of Online Learning - College of Applied Health Sciences (119728)
Director of Online Learning
College of Applied Health Sciences
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The College of Applied Health Sciences is accepting applications for a Director of Online Learning. The Director of Online Learning will develop strategy, promote, and otherwise coordinate the delivery of online and blended education offerings of the College of Applied Health Sciences under the direction of the Associate Dean for Academic and International Programs. Develop and implement policies, procedures and guidelines for online and blended programs for the College of Applied Health Sciences. Oversee the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of online and blended courses and programs. In conjunction with academic departments, work with faculty and staff to promote and develop online and blended courses in conjunction with academic departments, and provide related support to students and faculty.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help set policy and advise on campus policy related to pedagogy, technology and online/off-campus education. Organize and lead college steering committee for online programs.
- Serve on campus committees and contribute expertise toward making policy, process, and procedures
- Ensure compliance with licensing and copyright laws and regulations.
- Identify emerging trends and conduct needs analyses that offer opportunities for new programming and service.
- Benchmark and network with colleagues across campus and at peer institutions.
- Work with departments and college to identify ways online programming can build on strengths of existing programs and identify opportunities in emerging markets/ communities. Facilitate the development of new programs, certificates and degrees.
- Develop strategy and coordinate delivery of online educational programs for the College employing a collaborative style of leadership.
- Oversee the assessment of online programs and courses. Identify ways to streamline, make consistent, and otherwise optimize processes (e.g., student services, scheduling, marketing, data analytics, etc.) across the college. Improve efficiency, efficacy, and quality. Ensure an smooth, efficient application process and strong retention and time-to-degree metrics.
- In partnership with technology services in Applied Health Sciences, work to provide the best possible student experience as it relates to the online environments and technology use.
- Ensure programs and courses are well articulated across departments and programs, including maintenance of a master schedule to provide necessary availability of courses for students and to optimize sharing of courses across programs.
- Coordinate instructional design projects for online courses from inception to completion.
- Serve as facilitator and broker of services for the college’s online programs to manage expectations and hold service providers accountable.
- Work with technology services in AHS and the Center for Innovation in Teaching & Learning (ClTL) to support instructors in the prioritization, planning, development, implementation, and assessment of online/blended courses. Promote and contribute to the development and use of conventions/standards, best practices, and the effective and responsible application of technologies.
- With AHS technology services and CITL, coordinate faculty/instructor development. Promote and facilitate effective practices in online program and course development, including the use of established and emerging technologies.
- Encourage and advise faculty on the adoption of best practices and guidelines for accessibility and universal design.
- Work with marketing/communications teams and service providers to market and to grow our programs. Provide oversight and quality control for communications about programs and courses on relevant web sites and other communications channels.
- Monitor and assess financials, program enrollment patterns and trends, student satisfaction and success, and other key health and performance indicators to improve our programs and the student experience, to optimize return-on-investment, and to otherwise inform decision-making in the best interest of our students, our programs, and the college.
- Represent the college in campus initiatives related to innovative learning environments.
- Work with advancement team to coordinate online and campus alumni relations
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:Required: Earned master’s degree or Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree from an appropriate accredited university.At least 2 years of experience overseeing instructional design and development, and instructional media in a higher education setting.Experience with oversight of traditional, blended and online learning.Experience in developing and providing services to students, faculty, and staff engaged in online and innovative programs.At least three years of experience that includes instructional design, curriculum development, and web development.At least two years of post-secondary online and/or blended teaching experience.Preferred: Ph.D. from an accredited institution in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education, or related field.5 or more years of experience working in higher education.5 or more years of experience teaching and learning online.Experience designing and developing MOOCs.Some research experience in areas of higher education, policy, and technology.The ability to report and present findings to internal and external audiences.
Successful Candidates Will Have:Excellent organizational, planning, communication and inter-personal skills.Demonstrated ability to think “outside the box” and to lead and manage change in a positive and inclusive manner and work effectively with a diverse student population.Team-oriented, collaborative individual with the ability to be self-directed when necessary.Demonstrate sound judgement, strong analytic skills, and a commitment to world-class service to students, faculty, and staff.
Competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Appointment Status and Start Date
This is a full-time (100%), 12 month Academic Professional appointment. The proposed start is as soon as possible after the closing date.
To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by September 20, 2019. Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and the names, address, phone numbers and email addresses of three professional references.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For more information about this position, applicants may contact:
Jennifer Russell, Assistant Director of Human Resources [email protected]College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Applied Health Sciences Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Director of Online Learning - College of Applied Health Sciences (119728) Open Date:09/06/2019 Close Date:09/20/2019 Organization Name:Applied Health Sciences Admin