Part-Time Skills Instructor, Live Entertainment Technology
Job Title: Part-Time Skills Instructor, Live Entertainment Technology
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 31520
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Skills Instructors in Live Entertainment Technology (LET) work with faculty to provide students with hands-on experience in a controlled laboratory environment. Part-time Skills Instructors are hired on an as-needed basis, and may not work more than 19.5 hours per week. Skills Instructors may work days or evenings with occasional weekends as assigned, depending on the needs of the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Primary responsibility is to supervise and assist in teaching and coaching students (under the supervision of a Faculty member) in the Live Entertainment Technology (LET) Program. Acts as an on-site resource to individual students and groups accessing lighting, audio, and video equipment; helps familiarize students with hardware and software; assists students in troubleshooting equipment, completing assignments, and orients students to the laboratory
- Remains informed of new technologies in LET and in new approaches to learning
- Enforces procedures for the use of the LET lab and the use of equipment, supplies, materials, software, hardware and peripherals.
- Maintains records of activities undertaken in the LET Lab, which includes tracking the number of students utilizing the lab, checking in and out of video equipment to students shooting in the field
- Assists LET faculty during in class lab assignments by making sure the equipment for that days lab is ready along with supervising students with faculty to insure the safety of students and equipment in the LET lab
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses basic problems with Lighting, Audio, and Video Equipment. Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment, as necessary. Refers problems to the Program Director as needed
- Opens and/or closes the LET Building and provides for the general cleanliness, safety and security of LET. Reports maintenance problems to the Program Director as they occur
- Responds to questions from students, staff, and faculty with information relating to the LET Lab, over the phone, through email, and in person
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of lighting, sound, and audio equipment and how it is used in the entertainment industry
- Knowledge of industry standards regarding rigging and electrical safety
- Competent in all LET skills and capable of assisting faculty in lab and instructional activities
- Knowledge of safety procedures for LET and all related equipment
The work involves regular exposure to outdoor elements, and/or regular exposure to hazardous items such as chemicals, toxic or caustic materials, contamination, and electrical hazards. This exposure requires special safety precautions, e.g., working around moving parts, carts, or machines; exposure to contagious diseases or irritant chemicals. Employees may be required to use protective clothing or gear, such as masks, gowns, coats, boots, goggles, gloves, or shields.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, Apple iOS and Windows OS, etc and MA lighting consoles, digital and analog audio consoles, Novastar LED wall mapping software, digital video cameras, and lighting for film and live production
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with work at heights up to 25 feet and with 3 phase electrical
- Associate’s degree and at least 2 years of related LET work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- General knowledge of all areas of live production
Hourly Pay Rate is $24.38.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.