Adjunct Faculty, Adult Education CTE-CE-AEL Grant
Job Title: Adjunct Faculty, Adult Education CTE-CE-AEL Grant
Location: LSC-Houston North Greenspoint
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 31718
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office, University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
It is the responsibility of the teaching faculty to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
CE Adjunct faculty are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the System. Lone Star College accepts application material year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Adjunct (part-time) faculty hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes that are offered at various times and locations during the academic year. As a rule, adjunct faculty may teach a maximum of five classes per academic year.
This is a temporary, grant-funded position. Continuation of the position from one academic year to the next is dependent upon continued grant funding.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teaches Adult Education courses including GED, ESOL, Pre-Algebra and Math and Reading support classes at a variety of times and locations
- Creates engaging lessons that promote student involvement and application of the material
- Submits required college reports and forms in a timely manner
- Utilizes a course syllabus for each course, following established institutional guidelines
- Meets with and advises students either before or after class or by appointment, electronic communication, or other appropriate methods
- Evaluates students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and informs students in a timely manner of their progress
- Maintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community
- Attends meetings, trainings, and orientations as required
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Skills in project leadership
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to work collaboratively
- Familiarity with MS Office software
- Demonstrated commitment to multi-cultural and multi-generational diversity
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the comprehensive community college
- Demonstrated communication and computer skills
- Demonstrated commitment to quality service to students
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead change
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE & CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Hours will vary depending on class time; Instructors are required to meet with classes at all scheduled times and be available to students outside of class instruction
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 3 years of related work experience
- Must complete 15 hours of Adult Education-specific Professional Development / training to maintain eligibility to teach each program year
$36.83 per contact hour.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.Special Instructions
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
The employee in this position must complete 15 hours of Adult Education-specific Professional Development / triaining to maintain eligibility to teach each program year.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.