Director of Grants Research & Development
Director of Grants Research & Development
Job no: 493082
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Role: Director of Grants Research & Development
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Rate of Pay:Based on qualifications.
The Director of Grants Research and Development is responsible for working with internal and external stakeholders on the successful attainment of institutional and private grants.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year college or university; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
2. Minimum of three to five years’ experience with grant writing, proposal writing, business/technical writing, journalism, or other writing style that requires frequent opportunities to learn an expertise and communicate it clearly.
3. Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
4. Experience working with institutional donors, fundraising information sources, proposal writing and basic fundraising techniques/strategies in a non-profit fundraising environment.
5. Experience with and/or knowledge of project management principals.
6. Strong written oral and written communication skills, especially the ability to write and edit clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive responses to grant proposals.
7. Attention to detail.
8. Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
9. Strong contributor in team environments.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced degree or certification.
- Perform prospect research on foundations and corporations to evaluate prospects for corporate and foundation grants.
- Work with the Business and Finance Department of the College to gather information necessary to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grants reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Provide stewardship to current grantors, working to provide regular written updates (newsletters, etc.) to corporate, private and foundation donors.
- Understand institutional history and programs.
- Build relationships with potential grantors and foundation officers and other prospects.
- Arrange for onsite tours for supporters (foundation officers, foundation trustees).
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship (visitor number and diversity, educational program attendance, etc.).
- Work with College employees to provide development input for all written institutional materials (including Annual Report, President’s Report, etc.).
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested.
- Act as a clearing house for all grant submissions.
- Work with the Foundation team to develop budgets, and perform other duties as assigned by the Office Institutional Advancement and the Foundation.
- Perform other position related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Sedentary (up to 10 lbs occasionally, sitting most of the time)
Close visual acuity (e.g. computer, assembly)
Typical office or administrative
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 09/13/2019 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: September 6, 2019 Central Daylight Time