Accountant/Financial Analyst Senior
Job location: Franklin Building
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-05
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleAccountant/Financial Analyst SeniorJob Profile TitleAccountant/Financial Analyst SeniorJob Description SummaryThe Experienced Senior Accountant/Analyst performs significant aspects of Penn's external reporting and analysis process including related internal controls and monthly, quarterly and annual closing procedures, and highly technical and complex accounting/reporting research. The Experienced Senior Accountant/Analyst reports to the Manager of FR&A.
The Experienced Senior Accountant/Analyst performs various analyses of business operations which are utilized by Executive Leadership (e.g. Associate Comptroller, Comptroller, VP and EVP) and the University’s external auditors. These analyses are key to (1) ensuring the accuracy of the University financial reporting, (2) communicating the financial health and integrity of the Consolidated University to the Board of Trustees and other interested external third parties such as prospective donors, grant making agencies, debt holders, etc., (3) maintaining and improving the University credit rating, (4) ensuring proper financial stewardship/control and (5) safeguarding University assets.
The Experienced Senior Accountant/Analyst is responsible for researching significant accounting and reporting activities performed outside the Comptroller’s department (e.g. Gifts, Tuition, Sponsored Programs, and Investments).
The Experienced Senior Accountant/Analyst assists the Managers in serving as internal business partners via a “Shared Governance” process to direct, measure and monitor desired controls and outcomes at various schools and centers in the University. This process involves consulting on various issues with potential impacts from changing business operations to significant and/or unusual transactions.
• Performs a detailed level review of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements and related disclosures including footnotes prepared by the reporting group and multiple groups in other organizations.
• Prepares other reports for external entities such as The United States Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Middle States Commission on Higher Education, etc.
• Performs a comprehensive financial statement analysis process which culminates with the preparation of formal analysis package used by executive management to communicate business trends and issues to the Board of Directors and by external auditors to verify compliance with reporting controls as well as the accuracy of our statements.
• Prepares a comprehensive monthly horizontal line item analysis process of the financial statements designed to detect and correct significant accounting/reporting errors and identify and communicate corrective actions required to prevent their reoccurrence.
• Ensures compliance with GAAP through detailed review of complex accounting rules and the application of those roles to complicated and multifaceted transactions University-wide.
• Prepares professionally documented accounting and reporting research "position papers" (following professional practices used by EITF) recommending and approving critical accounting decisions for concurrence by the external auditor.
• Monitors emerging accounting, reporting and control rules promulgated by authoritative bodies including the SEC, FASB, EITF and AICPA. Evaluates these emerging rules and practices, communicates impact on the University, and recommends and implements appropriate actions.
• Benchmarks other entity reporting/accounting practices.
• Implements the functional aspects of the closing process/schedule and assists the Managers with Finance IT and ISC on related system requirements.
Assists the Managers with the implementation of a Shared Governance Model in functional departments University-wide, including assignment of object code reconciliation and analysis responsibilities, and development and implementation of a monitoring process that ensures the University’s system of internal controls over financial reporting (e.g. reconciliations, agings, and analytical reviews) are effective and operating as intended.
• Assists in all aspects of the external audit process including:
• Participation in quarterly reviews and annual audit activities
• Coordinating related internal activities to meet external deadlines
• Collaborating with other functional departments to ensure that necessary supporting information is provided timely and accurately
• Preparation of a comprehensive annual footnote fluctuation analysis distributed to senior management and external auditors with an emphasis on the review of functional expenses
Bachelor's Degree and 5 to 7 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.Job Location - City, StatePhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / SchoolDivision of FinancePay Range$59,703.00 - $113,435.00Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.