Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy TypeSHRAIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime Limited?NoTime-Limited Appointment LengthTitlePublic Communication SpecialistBand LevelJourneyWorking TitleCommunications ManagerSalary Range$31,200 - $83,965Anticipated Hiring Range$52,985 - $56,985Salary Grade Equivalency69Position Number00103617Work ScheduleMonday - Friday / 8am-5pm (occasional night and weekend events)Does the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count).NoFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department111502 - Center for Environmental Farming SystemsDepartmentCenter for Environmental Farming SystemsJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) is a partnership of North Carolina State University, North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. CEFS develops and promotes just and equitable food and farming systems that conserve natural resources, strengthen communities, improve health outcomes, and provide economic opportunities in North Carolina and beyond. For more information please see https://cefs.ncsu.edu/.
The Center for Environmental Farming Systems (CEFS) is recruiting an experienced communications professional to develop, execute, and manage a comprehensive communications strategy with the goals of broadening awareness of CEFS’ programs and initiatives, communicating our impact, and increasing engagement among diverse audiences. CEFS is a regional and national leader in sustainable agriculture and community-based food systems and organizes nearly a dozen food system initiatives, a grassroots-level youth program, seven sustainable agriculture production research units, extension/outreach components (educational workshops, large public events) and academic programs including internships, apprenticeships, and a graduate student fellowship. CEFS is comprised of a large and complex network of more than 40 staff members and affiliated faculty across the three constituent institutions, and works in partnership with N.C. Cooperative Extension and dozens of government agencies, non-profit organizations, and businesses across North Carolina.Essential Job Duties
The Communication Manager’s position must be able to demonstrate success managing a communications program in a similarly complex environment, and have the skills, focus, and energy to lead CEFS into a position of national and international prominence for its work. The incumbent will drive the “big picture” communications strategy while maintaining focus on the details of daily projects, managing multiple complex projects simultaneously. The Communications Manager will be the liaison to Department, College, and University-level communication counterparts at NC State University, as well as communication counterparts at NC Agricultural and Technical State University and the NC Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The Communications Manager will work with other communications team members and may provide supervision of other positions as well as occasional contractors.
The CEFS Communications Manager will be responsible for all of CEFS’ external communications including content development, website and social media management, press/media outreach, event advertising and promotion, publications, videos, and marketing materials.
The Communications Manager position will supports a wide variety of administrative, faculty, and staff projects, serves as a communications resource for CEFS staff and affiliates, and assists with grant writing and resource development.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
Overall Communications Strategy and Execution, taking into account stakeholder needs/interests and leveraging key partners.
- Plan and coordinate strategic messaging via website, social media, blog posts, and other avenues.
- Proactively identify emerging/critical issues and develop communication strategies to proactively insert CEFS faculty and staff into local, regional, and national conversations on those issues
- Work with staff and faculty to continuously develop engaging and timely content for multiple channels to convey CEFS’ work and the impact that it is having.
- Plan and develop monthly blog posts highlighting a broad spectrum of CEFS’ work.
- Create content for, and manage production of, a variety of printed marketing and promotional materials including brochures, videos, posters, reports, banners, etc.
- Create content for, and manage scheduling of, monthly newsletters and updates using Constant Contact.
- Write the annual fundraising appeal letter, annual report/s, and other materials as required.
- Ensure that all CEFS materials comply with CEFS’ branding requirements as well as those of its constituent partners.
- Write, edit and proofread materials as required to support administrative and program staff needs.
Management of CEFS’ 500+ page website
- Ensure that website content is current and accurate at all times. Working with staff and faculty, continuously update all pages.
- Post events, news items, press releases, employment opportunities, and other timely announcements.
- Ensure that the homepage is visually engaging and reflects strategic messaging priorities
- Continuously review and improve the website based on website analytics and other diagnostics.
Social Media Management
- Working with CEFS’ Communications Specialist, develop and execute a Social Media strategy for Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and possibly additional platforms that leverages and complements existing social media activities of CEFS’ various programs and initiatives.
- Working with CEFS’ Communications Specialist, manage CEFS’ various social media accounts.
Press and Media Outreach
- Research, build and maintain media contact database
- Create and execute strategy for maximum media exposure; develop relationships necessary to maintain this exposure.
- Working with the CEFS Administrative Team, plan promotional campaigns to publicize CEFS activities and events through a variety of media.
- Create promotional messaging for CEFS’ events using Constant Contact.
- Oversee and coordinate promotional messaging to a variety of listservs and post to Social Media accounts
- Coordinate CEFS’ presence at outreach and educational events.
- Publicize, promote, and assist at CEFS’ public events.
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
- Must be able to juggle multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and supervise employees.
- Must have exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, and research skills.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and project/time management skills are critical.
- Proven success managing complex websites in a WordPress CMS.
- Strong command of MS Office suite of programs or similar product, and proficiency working in a Google virtual environment (Google docs, Google calendar, etc).
- Must demonstrate previous success managing a website and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn).
- Must be capable working independently on described task, while also working closely with a diverse group of CEFS staff, faculty, students, and other stakeholders.
- Masters degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Five years of demonstrated success in a management-level position in communications, marketing, or public relations.
- Strong background in sustainable agriculture and/or community based and local food systems.
- Knowledge of the local food system environment in North Carolina.
Valid NC drivers license within 60 days of hire.Special Instructions
In addition to your application please submit:
- Cover letter
- The contact information for at least 3 professional references
- Examples of websites created/manages (“other document 1”)
- Examples of social media posts (“other document 2”)
- Short writing sample.
Please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history that is listed on your resume.Job Open Date09/06/2019Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)09/13/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAlternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Public Communication Specialist position.
- Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in a related field
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in an unrelated field and four years of related experience
- Associate's in a related and two years of related experience
- Combination of post-high school education and/or experience in a related field to equal at least 4 years (ex. 1 year towards a related degree and 3 years of related experience)
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and related experience to equal 8 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 7 years of related experience)
- None of the above
- * Do you have a valid North Carolina Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- * Please briefly describe your training and experience in communciation, especially in an agency or institutional setting.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your training and experience in sustainable agriculture and/or community food systems, especially in the state of North Carolina.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have demonstrated success managing social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn)? Examples will be required.
- * Do you have experience with email marketing (MailChimp, Constant Contact, or similar)?
- * Are you able to juggle multiple priorities and projects and meet deadlines?
- * Are you capable of doing all the described activities independently while also working closely with a diverse group of CEFS staff, faculty, students, and other stakeholders?
- * Are you knowledgeable about agriculture and local food systems, preferably in North Carolina, and passionate about CEFS’ work?
- * Do you possess a Bachelor’s Degree with at least three years of management-level experience in marketing or communications (or equivalent combination of training and experience), preferably related to food systems, agriculture, or food policy work?
- * Do you have a proven success managing large/complex websites in a WordPress CMS (examples of websites created and/or managed will be required)?
- * Do you have graphic design skills?
- * Do you have excellent computer and database management skills?
- * Please explain what interests you about the mission of CEFS.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References
- Other Document (1)
- Other Document (2)
- Short Writing Sample