Assistant Professor of Composition
The College of Music at the University of Colorado Boulder is seeking an Assistant Professor of Music Composition (tenure track), start-date: Fall 2020.Who We Are
The College of Music offers degree programs in Performance, Jazz Studies, Composition, Theory, Musicology, and Music Education. CU Boulder is located in one of the most picturesque and desirable geographic locations in the country, within easy driving distance of a major metropolitan area and the Rocky Mountains. More information may be found at http://music.colorado.edu/
The warm and collegial climate of the College of Music reflects the genuine respect among faculty and the unified goal of providing a nurturing and supportive environment for the students.What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
- Teach/advise undergraduate and graduate composition majors
- Teach various music theory courses within the College of Music (including counterpoint/orchestration, etc.)
- Maintain an active research and/or creative activity profile in music composition
- Supervise and facilitate student composition projects and concerts
- Provide service to the college, campus, community, and profession
The salary for this position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.Benefits
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.Be StatementsBe Creative. Be Curious. Be Boulder.What We Require
Doctorate in music composition by start date AND/OR extensive, appropriate professional experience including performances of works by professional performing ensembles, releases through major recording labels or internet portals, and/or syndicated radio/video broadcasts.What We Would Like You To Have
Desired Qualifications include any of the following:
(Please indicate interest and any appropriate experience in cover letter.)
1) Candidates with conducting experience (contemporary music) and seek to lead/conduct the college's Boulder Altitude Directive Ensemble (in-house, non-curricular New Music Group). Please include appropriate audio/video link(s) with application.
2) Candidates who seek to lead and implement the college’s Pendulum New Music Series (a concert series devoted to student compositions and contemporary repertoire).
3) Candidates who have experience with current music technologies/software.
4) Candidates with a successful record of composition, production, and private instruction that demonstrates a broad understanding and commitment to genre plurality and cultural diversity (ranging from traditional, symphonic and classical, to intuitive and nontraditional music).Special Instructions
The following application materials are to be submitted online:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover Letter.
- PDFs of a minimum of two (2) compositions in contrasting musical styles (maximum of 4), accompanied by links to recordings.
- Contact information for four professional references. (Letters of recommendation will be requested at a later date).
Applications received by November 1, 2019 will receive full consideration. Position will be posted until filled.
For questions, please contact:
Dr. Carter Pann
Chair, Composition Search Committee[email protected]The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.