Dean, School of Business
Dean, School of Business
Posting #: 1587
Position Status: Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: School of Business, Administrator
Position Title & Department:Dean, School of BusinessPosting #
Founded in 1972 with the visionary belief that global partnerships were the key to the future of business, the USD School of Business is dedicated to creating a learning environment that includes entrepreneurship and innovation, global business, ethical leadership, and business analytics. The School of Business is now home to more than 1,800 students every year and offers nine majors, 13 minors, eight specialty master’s programs and two MBA programs. The school also houses five centers of excellence that enhance the student experience and build practitioner relationships with the business community. Currently, seventy-one percent of undergraduate business students have international experiences, 100% of MBA students study abroad, and the School of Business graduate students spend an average of 17 days overseas during their coursework. The School of Business is internationally recognized and enjoys top rankings, both locally and globally:
• In 2018, Financial Times ranked the School of Business in the nation’s top 50 (50th), in the top 100 (97th) globally and 6th in California.
• Poets&Quants also recently ranked the undergraduate business program as 47th in the nation and 3rd in California.
• U.S. News & World Report has consistently ranked the Master’s in Supply Chain Management in the top 25 in the United States for best online graduate business programs.
• Bloomberg Businessweek currently ranks the MBA program number 60 in the nation and the undergraduate business program number 53 in the nation.
As it has for many decades, the University of San Diego School of Business creates and prepares future business leaders who are well equipped for the 21st century marketplace; who can navigate business across the globe; who embrace innovation and entrepreneurship as cornerstones for building commerce; and who prioritize sustainability, ethics and social responsibility. The School has a consistent recognition of A or A+ teaching quality by Bloomberg Businessweek and the faculty – 85% of whom have PhDs - has dramatically increased the number of publications in top-tier academic journals in recent years. The School of Business continues to be a model of outstanding global business education, a leader in high-quality business research, and a magnet for the most dedicated and innovative faculty and staff.
In December of 2017, USD Board of Trustees Chair Don Knauss, and his wife, Ellie, made a $20 million donation to the School of Business. Combined with other gifts, including a generous pledge of $1 million from Kim and Andy Busch, USD will expand the size of the School of Business from 48,000 square feet to more than 120,000 square feet with the construction of a new building. The $67 million construction project will be completed in 2022.
AACSB Accreditation: In June 2019, both the business and accounting degree programs in the School of Business were reaccredited for another five years by AACSB International.
School of Business Mission: The USD School of Business is committed to developing socially responsible leaders with a global mindset through academically rigorous, relevant and values-based education and research.
School of Business Vision: Our vision is to be a model of outstanding global business education, a leader in high-quality business research and a magnet for the most dedicated and innovative faculty and staff.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
The University of San Diego (USD) invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Business. The Dean will have the opportunity to lead a school that is currently enjoying a great deal of momentum and new levels of accomplishment and distinction due to the combined efforts of faculty, staff and administration. The University is on an upward trajectory and this position offers the opportunity to play a defining role in shaping the future of business education at USD.
The Dean, who reports to the Vice President and Provost, is responsible for the overall academic, administrative, and fiscal leadership of the School of Business. The Dean is also responsible for maintaining and strengthening strategic relationships with alumni, benefactors, local community, and industry. The Dean will provide leadership in defining the strategic priorities and growth of the academic programs in the School of Business to enhance the visibility, brand and reputation locally and globally. The Dean shall advance the mission and vision of the School of Business with transparent decision-making and understanding of bottom-line fiscal implications.
USD seeks a leader with a proven record in an administrative position with responsibility for developing and guiding strategy, motivating and leading a team, engaging external constituencies, and fostering diversity. The Dean must show evidence of exceptional leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Specifically, these responsibilities include:
• ensuring and promoting academic excellence and integrity in the School of Business through a strong commitment to professional and/or academic development of faculty, staff, and students;
• fostering a dynamic and cohesive leadership team as well as promoting an inclusive and welcoming environment with commitment to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty, administration, staff, and students;
• ensuring the School of Business maintains its accreditation and alignment with AACSB International standards;
• leading fundraising and capital campaign initiatives to meet current and future School priorities;
• regularly interacting with industry leaders and being a strong connection between the School of Business and the business community;
• fostering alumni engagement and relationships;
• promoting USD’s students for internships, projects and full-time employment;
• participating in University-wide strategic planning activities, especially as related to academic matters;
• having ultimate decision-making responsibility for the hiring and evaluations of faculty and administrators;
• demonstrating a strong commitment to and practice of shared governance; and
• administering all fiscal matters for the School of Business.Job Requirements:
The Dean must show evidence of successful leadership, exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and a proven record in an administrative position with responsibility for developing and guiding strategy, motivating and leading a team, engaging external constituencies, and fostering diversity.
Specific qualifications include:
• exemplary academic and/or professional qualifications in one of the disciplines in the School of Business, an earned terminal degree and/or a record of outstanding academic and/or professional achievement;
• effective communication and public relation skills with the ability to forge productive links with other deans on campus, as well as external constituencies, including area business partners and corporations;
• demonstrated budget and fiscal management experience;
• evidence of strategic planning leadership and the ability to effectively implement strategic plans;
• an appreciation for the Catholic identity, mission and vision of the University;
• an ability to raise financial resources and build the financial infrastructure of the School;
• evidence of an ability to engage with and foster relationships with industry and community partners;
• an experienced fundraising track record and involvement with capital campaigns; and
• a strong commitment to community engagement for the purpose of linking students, faculty, and friends with community, regional and global leaders who know, understand and support the School of Business.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Nominations, applications, and inquiries of interest should be sent in confidence to the University’s executive search firm:
Martin M. Baker, Managing Partner
Chelsie Whitelock, Principal
10 Cadillac Drive, Suite 190
Brentwood, TN 37027
The full job description can be found here: http://www.buffkinbaker.com/assignments/university-of-san-diego-dean-school-of-business/Additional Details:
Closing date: Review of applications will begin in October and will continue until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by the executive search firm by September 30, 2019. Candidates should provide a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae, and five professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: September 05, 2019 Pacific Daylight Time