Academic Counselor, Educational Opportunity Program
Locations:: Binghamton, NY
Posted:: Sep 5, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 09103
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a world-class institution that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by outstanding academics, facilities and community life - promotes extraordinary student success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty and state-of-the-art facilities to engage and challenge its 17,000 students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first-generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration and community service.
Budget Title: Academic Advisor (SL-3)
Salary: $48,201 - 50,000
The EOP at Binghamton University provides to its student's professional Academic Counselors who are interested in their personal growth, goals and overall academic success. The EOP Academic Counselor serves as an academic advisor, counselor, and mentor throughout the duration of each student's enrollment at the University. Students are usually matched with an Academic Counselor based on their reported areas of interest and intended majors. They work together on achievement of academic and personal goals.
- Maintain a counseling relationship with EOP students and provide academic, career, financial and personal guidance, both individually and in group settings, making appropriate referrals when necessary
- Participate in the new student orientation program for freshman and transfer students by presenting information and providing counseling and advisement
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive counseling records on all assigned students
- Assist the Director by providing information to complete state and local mandated reports
- Assist the Director with the oversight of the SP/BEP including all components and the evaluation and assessment of the Binghamton Enrichment Summer Program
- Participate in Counseling Meetings involving all EOP Counselors related to issues pertinent to EOP students and ensuring best practices that reflect changing policies at Binghamton University and nationally
- Participate on various Binghamton University committees that provide the opportunity to collaborate with faculty and staff
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Bachelor's degree with one to three years of experience advising, counseling or higher education academic related experience
- Demonstrated ability to work with a culturally and ethnically diverse population
- Experience in counseling and advising students in a college or university setting
- Experience with use of technology and experience with Microsoft Suite, Banner, Degree Works, and/or other student management software
- A Master's degree preferably in the areas of Higher Education, Student Personnel, Counseling, Academic Advising, Social Work or other related careers
- Three to five years of experience with diverse populations in a higher education environment with opportunity programs or related programs (EOP/HEOP, SEEK)
- Experience developing and coordinating events and/or programs
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected]
Payroll information can be found on our website http://www.binghamton.edu/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
Deadline for Internal Applicants: September 19, 2019
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
Persons interested in this position should apply online.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.