Lab Coordinator I - Digital Technologies
Lab Coordinator I - Digital Technologies
Job no: 493083
Position Type: Part-Time
Location: Elgin, IL
Experience Level: Entry-Level
Role: Lab Coordinator I
About ECC:Elgin Community College serves over 9,000 students at every stage of their educational journeys, including university transfer programs, career and technical education, continuing education classes, and adult basic education. As a community, we pride ourselves on nurturing a welcoming campus where every person—students, staff members, faculty members, and campus visitors—feels valued. The work of each ECC employee is central to the college’s mission, and as an employer, the college fosters a positive environment through professional challenges, excellent benefits, and opportunities for recognition and camaraderie.
Rate of Pay:
Organize, supply and maintain lab facilities for student and instructor use. Provide support to faculty instructors by preparing lab facilities prior to and assisting during open lab hours.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Associate's degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Basic knowledge of assigned discipline.
- Two years experience in lab environment; a working knowledge of lab skills and procedures. Basic lab maintenance skills may be necessary.
- Ability to perform mathematic and formula computations may be required.
- Strong organization skills.
- A working knowledge of discipline-specific computer hardware and software.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Supervise and assist students during open lab hours.
- Maintain lab facilities to ensure a clean and safe working environment.
- Assist instructors with demonstrations and departmental research; test new products and processes.
- Provide routine preventative equipment maintenance, including cleaning and minor technical adjustments. Clean, calibrate and maintain all equipment. Test and maintain safety equipment in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Prepare lab facilities for all laboratory classes, e.g., prepare and store stock solutions and/or media, maintain specimens, and provide equipment calibrations as necessary. Restock and organize student bench supplies and set up.
- Maintain inventory, organize and re-order supplies.
- May train and delegate jobs to student staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Heavy (up to 100 lbs occasionally or 50 lbs frequently or 25 lbs constantly)
Visual Acuity (arm’s length)
Typical office or administrative
Operates motor vehicles or heavy equipment
Wet or Humid conditions (non-weather related)
Extreme cold (below 32 degrees for more than one hour)
Extreme heat (above 100 degrees for more than one hour)
Fumes or airborne particles
Current SSECCA Union Member Information:
Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 09/11/2019 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Elgin Community College does not discriminate, or tolerate discrimination, against any member of its community on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender/gender identity, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law in matters of admissions, employment, or in any aspect of the educational programs or activities it offers.
In addition, Elgin Community College provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment practices, educational opportunities, and programs and services. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the College’s EEO/AA Officer. Determinations on request for a reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Advertised: September 4, 2019 Central Daylight Time