Director, Enterprise Systems HR & Student (ESHRS)
Job ID: 36982
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Department: IT AS Ent Sys HR/Student
Do you have experience as a business relationship manager? Are you interested in helping others solve business problems with technology? Our Northwestern Information Technology office, based in Evanston, is looking for a technology savvy senior leader to lead the transformation effort for our human resource and student enterprise systems. This job is excellent for individuals with experience re-imagining systems in a hosted environment and interest in the education mission. The ideal candidate will demonstrate technical agility, have solid written and verbal communication skills, and experience managing an IT team. In addition to joining a collaborative and hard-working team that values strong relationships, Northwestern employees take advantage of excellent healthcare and retirement benefits as well as generous paid time off. If you feel this could be a great career match, please apply today!
The Director of Enterprise Systems of HR & Student (ESHRS) reports to the Associate Vice President of Administrative Systems and leads the management of Human Resources and Student Systems as part of Northwestern Information Technology. The ESHRS unit supports a portfolio that enables business units around the University to operate key functions related to Human Resources and Student applications and information. The unit is responsible for working with governing bodies to define required activities needed to be performed on an annual basis along with projects to maintain, improve and enhance the user experience. The Director is responsible for: 1) ensuring these services run reliably and efficiently for customers; 2) collaborating with IT and non-IT units throughout the University; 3) leading resources to complete an agreed to strategy, portfolio of projects and support for other initiatives; 4) collaborating with the Northwestern Information Technology management team, Administrative Systems management team and other technology leaders to plan and deliver effective IT services; and 5) performing management functions, including budgeting, procurement, contract negotiations, and personnel evaluations and actions.
Leadership and Supervision: Leads and motivates the members of the Enterprise Systems Human Resources & Student units of Northwestern Information Technology in providing services to Northwestern University IT and non-IT units:
- Leads the campus in looking for opportunities to work together in using or adapting new technologies and approaches.
- With a continuously evolving portfolio, builds and develops teams that enable the delivery of IT services that support the current and future IT needs of the University.
- Collaborates with the Administrative Systems leadership team, NUIT management and staff members to plan and deliver effective services.
- Provides leadership to drive innovation and adoption of new technologies and IT methodologies.
- Leads discovery and analysis of new opportunities and other special projects as assigned by the CIO or central administration.
- Serves in a leadership capacity within the Administrative Systems Directors management team ensuring alignment to strategic direction, enterprise architecture and specific initiatives.
Collaboration: Works in partnership with Administrative System directors, other Northwestern IT leaders, and technology leaders in schools and departments to coordinate service delivery between the central IT units and the distributed IT units (collectively known as the [email protected] community).
- Works with the University community to determine the capabilities, options, and applicability of new technologies and services within IT.
- Collaborates with University colleagues to provide IT services that advance the strategic goals of the University.
- Consults with University schools and departments on appropriate new services that will further the University's strategic goals and initiatives, and recommends achievable goals and resource requirements.
- Identifies, analyzes, and supports shared service initiatives with other University IT leaders.
- Extensive advisory contact with University administrators and technical staff to refine joint visions of how services may be delivered electronically.
- Extensive contact with user services and technical staff within the IT division and with the IT staff of other divisions of the University.
Customer Service: Provides excellent customer service, including proactively offering IT services to enable members of the University community to more effectively offer their services to the University community.
- Effectively measures user satisfaction with IT services, and works within the [email protected] community to improve services and satisfaction over time.
- Advises University schools and departments about new technologies and the appropriate deployment of services offered by the ESHRS unit.
- Ensures a high level of system availability and reliability for all ESHRS systems.
- Represents ESHRS at customer meetings, internal IT meetings, and meetings with senior administrators.
- Participates in national groups to share experiences, learn best practices from others, and influence policy formulation.
Miscellaneous: Performs various management functions related to the ESHRS unit, including budgeting, procurement, contract negotiations, and personnel evaluations and actions.
- Helps develop the ESHRS budget, and manages in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Performs other duties as required and directed.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education, training, and experience from which comparable skills, abilities, and knowledge was acquired.
- Minimum fifteen years’ experience in IT with a track record of high performance and increasing responsibility.
- Ten years of leadership experience with direct responsibility for a reasonably sized team supporting information technology.
- Five years of relevant experience in three or more areas of information technology (i.e. real-time integration, architecture, cloud computing, application development, document management, automated workflow).
Preferred Qualifications: (Education and experience)
- Past experience in a university or a highly-decentralized corporate environment.
- Demonstrated experience in working with new technologies and methodologies.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Experience with a broad range of technologies.
- An interest and desire in understanding new technologies and their business value.
To view the job posting and/or apply for the job, click here
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.