Counselor Associate- Academic Advisement Center
Category:: Academic Advisement (708)
Locations:: New York, NY
Posted:: Aug 21, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Staff Full Time
Ref. No.:: 1033
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York, invites applications for the position of Counselor Associate in the Academic Advisement Center.
The Counselor Associate will provide students with curricula information about the schools and majors offered at the College and provide superior customer service to FIT students who visit the Academic Advisement Center.
- Will assist students with questions about the College, its services and curriculum and be expert on academic policies and procedures related to advising students.
- Review degree audit progress reports and other materials submitted by students for review of academic standing. Run reports to monitor progress towards a degree and/or minor.
- Work closely with academic advisement counselors, faculty and program coordinators to manage the academic program of individual students.
- Assist in the creation and operation of websites, social media, and other technological solutions to providing student-centered academic advisement.
- Convey information to students on behalf of the Academic Advisement Center; provide information on policies and procedures of the Center, FIT and SUNY.
- Engage students, faculty, and staff regarding the academic standing of students. Monitors academic standing and provides continuous support as required.
- Assist in the stewarding of students through the steps of the academic advisement preparation including following up with students, making appointments, sending reminders, monitoring student progression and assuring that students, register for the appropriate courses, and receive all of the assistance they need to be successful students at FIT.
- Assist the Counselors in developing and maintaining relationships with faculty who may provide specialized academic advisement to students.
- Compile information to assist in the aiding of student with their academic issues, particularly students on academic probation.
- Provide reports that track students and provide statistics related to participation in academic advisement. Assist in the development and delivery of on-campus events and programs for students.
- Manage ongoing communications with students including email, print, and other media. With the assistance of Institutional Research, the Director, and Counselors assist with the development of surveys of students to facilitate continuous improvement in student centeredness and quality customer service.
This is a general description and is not to be construed as all-inclusive.
Minimum requirements are a Bachelor's degree with two years of experience in advisement related areas in a college or university setting; have working knowledge of the academic advisement processes, functions and student information systems; must also be comfortable with new technology and have the skills to utilize word processing software, electronic reporting tools and student information systems; must have strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a large team; commitment to strong student-centered and student friendly focus.
The ability to deliver effective counseling to large groups is an important function of the counselor associate role.
35 hrs wk- Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Schedule subject to change. Evening and /or weekend hours may be required based on the needs of the department
Link to FIT Benefits for Full-Time Staff
* Cover letter
* A list of three (3) professional references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Please note successful completion of a background check is required for appointment to this position once an offer has been made.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
Returning Applicants Login to your FITNYC Careers Account to check your completed application.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
*If applying from a website outside of www.FITNYC.edu please visit http://www.fitnyc.interviewexchange.com.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, [email protected]