Executive Director, Media and Public Relations
Category:: [A2-Mid-level Administrators]
Department:: Communications and External Relations
Locations:: New York, NY
Posted:: Sep 3, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 237
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, part of the State University of New York (SUNY) located in Chelsea New York City, invites applications for a Executive Director, Media and Public Relations.
Reporting to the Vice President for Communications and External Relations, the Executive Director is responsible for the development and management of an integrated media, public relations, and social media program for a specialized college and its high-profile museum. A senior leader in the Division of Communications and External Relations, the executive director plans, directs, and implements an effort that reflects the priorities of FIT's strategic and brand plans in order to enhance the college's regional, national, and international visibility. He/she serves as the college's chief spokesperson, and coordinates the college's communications on major institutional issues, including crisis and reputation management.
The executive director serves as a key advisor regarding public relations activities and external communications strategies. Collaborating with internal and external stakeholders/partners, the executive director will design proactive approaches to public relations initiatives in order to tell the FIT story via media outlets. Tasks include cultivation and maintenance of relationships with the media, development and distribution of press materials, coordination, and collaboration with unit colleagues specializing in digital media, supervision of staff, and representation at the State University level.
- Develops and implements media, social media, and public relations strategy to communicate the vision of the college
- Collaborates with other Communications and External Relations units, including marketing and brand management, communications, digital, special events, and government relations in order to ensure a coordinated and integrated media message
- Leads, supervises, and mentors direct reports
- Drafts news releases, advisories, media statements, and talking points
- Conducts media training
- Identifies and pitches stories
- Provides communications support for special events
- Identifies and uses tools for media outreach, tracking, and analysis
- Promotes the college by executing strategies across the full spectrum of communications platforms, including websites, multi-media, and social media
- Stays current on trends across media, including those outside higher education, and understands how new media can be applied to enhance FIT's reputation
- Coordinates, develops and disseminates information to media during an emergency
- Develops and maintains relationships with media
- Builds relationships with senior leadership, college community, and external contacts
- Represents the college at the State University of New York level with regard to issues related to public and media relations
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, or a related field, with master's preferred
- Minimum ten years of experience in public/media relations, communications, or journalism, preferably in a higher education, cultural, fashion, or non-profit environment
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible managerial experience
- Proven track record in developing media plans and programs for complex organizations
- Proven experience in developing, leading, and maintaining a public relations strategy and robust promotional programs to support positioning
- Experience writing communications plans, strategic plans, media reports, closing-the-loop reports
- Proven track record of success in media relations and social media; exceptional public speaking, writing, and editing abilities
- Possesses a thorough understanding of digital marketing communications solutions, including web, social media, SEO, digital media and analytics
- Demonstrated leadership, management, and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity with the New York City media environment
- Must be a strategic leader who is able to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a creative team and within a larger community environment, maintaining strong contacts with key constituencies in order to be informed about trends, issues, policies, and strategic priorities; synthesize a variety and quantity of information; demonstrate ability to plan, coordinate, manage, and assess a broad range of activities
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of all media platforms used to communicate news
- Ability to manage change and build relationships with colleagues from diverse areas of the college and inspire those outside their direct sphere of control
- Knows how to balance short-term objectives and long-term vision and is able to work simultaneously to deliver both
- An understanding of shared governance, collaborative decision-making, and consensus-building
- Proven success in managing, motivating, and supporting creative people and building a cohesive media relations team
- Excellent listening abilities, and written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to use independent judgment and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Innovative and creative thinker with passion?with demonstrated ability to "get things done" and proactively identify opportunities; motivated by challenges and opportunities.
- Strong analytical, presentation, and interpretive skills
- Proficient knowledge of relevant electronic tools and software including Google applications, MS Office suite (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint), etc.
Department: Communications and External Relations
Supervisor: Vice President
Days/Hours: 35 hrs/wk; Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Schedule subject to change based on the needs of the department
FIT offers a generous benefits package for full time employees.
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
* Cover letter
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding their application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, [email protected]