Coordinator, Community College Initiative Program
Department: International Center
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Sep 4, 2019
Ref No.: NUP
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, Massachusetts, in nearby Chelsea, Massachusetts, and at three satellite locations in the Greater Boston area. Founded in 1973, BHCC is the largest of the 15 community colleges in Massachusetts, serving some 18,000 students annually across all modes of instruction. The College offers certificates and associate degrees, early college and dual enrollment, non-credit community and corporate training, and industry specific training programs. The College is the 8th most diverse higher education institution in the United States, and is a Hispanic and Asian American and Pacific Islander Serving Institution. Approximately 900 International Students attend from 107 countries, speaking 75 languages.
BHCC is a progressive institution guided by five goals: to Foster Student Success, Strengthen Career, Transfer and Workforce Readiness, Advance Diversity, Inclusion and Equity and Develop the College's Infrastructure. The College is committed to a learning community teaching/learning environment and, as an Achieving the Dream institution, is focused on data-driven student success.
LIVING IN BOSTON:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2014 and 2015 were ahead of projections. Eighty-plus colleges and a quarter of a million college students in the area make Boston one of the country's "youngest major metropolis," according to Boston magazine. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
The College is seeking to hire a full time Coordinator within BHCC International Center to manage all aspects of the Community College Initiative program (CCI), a grant funded program sponsored by the US. Department of State. The Coordinator serves as the primary campus contact for program participants and internal stakeholders, as well as administrators from the grant administering institution. This is a grant-funded position through a three-year grant renewed annually through June 2022 based on performance and available funding, with potential for future funding beyond 2022 if the grant is re-awarded.
About the Program
The CCI provides scholarships to students from historically underrepresented and underserved communities from around the world who spend up to one academic year at a U.S community college. Participants build technical skills and may earn certificates in their fields of study. Through professional internships, service learning, and community engagement activities, participants strengthen English language proficiency and immerse themselves in the culture and day-to-day life of the United States. After completing the program, participants return home with new skills and expertise to help them contribute to the economic growth and development of their country. For more information about the CCI, please visit the website: https://exchanges.state.gov/non-us/program/community-college-initiative-program
- Plan and implement all aspects of the pre-arrival logistics and communication; coordinate for the necessary English as a Second Language courses;
- Prepare and administer the all required pre-arrival and end of the year activities and events (orientation)
- Assist student with the Individual Program Plans (IPPs)
- Prepare and submit weekly updates on the progress on participant adjustment and wellness
- Prepare and submit mandatory quarterly program reports and track budget for program expenses
- Attend mandatory weekly conference calls with all program hosts
- Facilitate weekly culture, society and institutions course, invite speakers and coordinate relevant activities
- Assist students in securing community service opportunities and track students service hours to meet program requirements
- Assist students with securing internships (resume preparation, cover letters, inquiry, applications) and track internship hours
- Collaborate with offices on campus to facilitate opportunities for students to engage during International Education Week, Internship/Volunteer fair, MLK Day, Global Youth Service Day and other cultural events to share their culture and experience
- Support students in getting involved on campus and in professional associations, attending off campus events and seminars
- Provide timely assistance and guidance to students related to health, discipline and performance issues
- Liaise with the housing provider to address emerging issues
- Participate in planning activities for the mid and/or end-of-year retreats off campus
- Serve as success coach to the participants, conduct assessment, if needed
- Foster collaboration with campus community to promote the program
- Serve as an 24/7 emergency contact for the program participants
- Other duties as assigned
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Intercultural Relations, Counseling, Social work, or closely related field;
- Min. two years of experience and/or training in College admissions, academic advising, Career development and internships, international student services or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Must be available to work on weekends and in the evenings
- Must be able to travel and attend multi-day mandatory sessions during the year within the continental United States
- Proven Ability to work effectively with a diverse student, faculty and staff population
- Valid driver's License
- Prior experience managing budgets
- Prior experience administering grant funded projects/programs
- Experience working with residential student support services
- Experience with living learning communities
Salary: $54,000.00/yr (grant funded position)
Review Date: To ensure consideration al application materials must be received by September 26, 2019
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE