Dean of the College of Professional Studies
Millikin University seeks a knowledgeable, visionary, and collaborative leader to serve as Dean of the College of Professional Studies, with oversight of the Department of Exercise Science and Sport, the School of Education, and the School of Nursing.
The Dean of the College of Professional Studies (CPS) serves as the senior administrator for a college that has in recent history experienced continued enrollment growth, increased breadth and depth in the curriculum, as well as expanded and improved facilities. CPS programs exemplify Millikin University’s dedication to Performance Learning – an approach to education that offers the prospect of gaining depth of knowledge in a discipline, but adds the flexibility of judgment and application required by performance in a professional setting in collaboration with third party stakeholders. Performance Learning arises from the premise that content knowledge alone is insufficient to prepare students for success beyond the university; they gain immeasurably when they meet professional challenges that shape their knowledge and skill through authentic application and action. Performance Learning has driven innovation in the content and delivery of the curriculum and co-curriculum, contributing to a unified sense of purpose and mission across the entire university.
The Dean reports to the Provost, and as one of the most senior institutional academic administrators serves as a key member of the university’s leadership team. The College of Professional Studies is one of four primary academic units at Millikin, including the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Fine Arts, and the Tabor School of Business. The Dean has executive responsibility for all CPS undergraduate and graduate-level programs in both traditional and non-traditional delivery formats. The College of Professional Studies offers graduate programs in Nursing and will soon also offer graduate degrees in Education and Athletic Training.
• Assure that students are prepared for successful personal and professional lives facing the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century.
• Assure educational quality across all programs through effective allocation and application of human, financial, and material resources.
• Recruit, retain, and support the professional development of excellent faculty with appropriate background and demonstrated effectiveness.
• Monitor and support curricular initiatives and learning outcomes assessment to sustain the integrity and rigor of academic programs.
• Monitor the external environment to provide informed, strategic direction and guidance to programs and initiatives in the college.
• Support and promote the acquisition of resources needed for success in a highly competitive higher education environment.
• Effectively represent the college to local, state, national, and international communities and university stakeholders in support of the goals and objectives of the college and its programs.
• Demonstrated effectiveness as a teacher and communicator.
• A record of substantive scholarly engagement and achievement.
• Demonstrated experience in overseeing graduate programs.
• Demonstrated knowledge of non-traditional curriculum delivery methods, especially on-line learning.
• Demonstrated leadership experience with an earned doctorate in a relevant field.
• Demonstrated commitment to the best possible learning and development outcomes for all students.
• Demonstrated commitment to the value of grounding professional programs in a liberal arts foundation.
• Commitments and skills to advocate effectively for college faculty and programs, while also working collaboratively across campus to advance university-wide goals and mission.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively represent the college to the community and other external stakeholders.
Millikin University is a private, residential university located on a beautiful 75-acre campus in Decatur, Illinois. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and programs in the College of Professional Studies are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs, and the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. Professional licensure programs are accountable to the Illinois State Board of Education and the Illinois Department of Licensure and Professional Regulation.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should complete an online application at www.millikin.edu/employment, and submit a cover letter, professional curriculum vitae, and full contact information for three professional references. Employment and first day of work is contingent upon successful completion of background check. Millikin University is an equal opportunity employer. Beyond meeting fully its legal obligations for non-discrimination, Millikin University is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community where members from all backgrounds can live, learn, and thrive. Millikin offers a competitive salary and full benefit package.