Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-03-05
Job Description SummarySaint Leo University is seeking a full-time University Chaplain. The chaplain fosters the liturgical, spiritual, personal and social development of the university community. Faithful to the Catholic tradition, the chaplain reaches out to people of all faiths or no faith on campus, participates in and/or plans a wide variety of events and ceremonies, offers mass, and collaborates with colleagues throughout the institution in order to further the mission of the University and to build community. This is a full-time 12-month position.Job Description
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary responsibility for the sacramental life of the University community.
- Provide engaging and relevant homilies for college students that challenge and encourage them.
- Encourage the community to participate in a life of faith and service.
- Provide pastoral counseling and/or spiritual direction as requested by members of the university community.
- Preside at University functions as requested.
- Be an active and positive presence on campus.
- Engage in planning and implementation of programs, events and retreats to strengthen the faith community at the university.
- Collaborate with others to extend mission work done by the University community.
- Collaborate in training and formation of student leaders and ministers.
- Be responsive to social issues on campus and globally and promote the social justice teachings of the Church.
- Respond to deaths of community members on campus or in the nearby community; serve as a source of support to the family and the community; preside at campus memorial services.
- Ability to effectively supervise the staff of the Saint Leo ministry office.
- Saint Leo University is seeking a Catholic priest in good standing who can relate pastorally to university students, faculty and staff.
- The University Chaplain will promote and uphold the mission of Saint Leo University and the teachings of the Catholic Church. Candidate must possess excellent preaching and pastoral skills.
- Previous experience in campus ministry or with college students is desirable.
- The position requires that the person demonstrate public relations skills, a positive, affirming demeanor, and initiative in approaching tasks, be able to organize work assignments, demonstrate an ability to communicate effectively with administrators, faculty, staff and students.
- Personal computer knowledge is desirable.
- This position requires availability in cases of emergency.
- The University Chaplain will also be responsible for supervising the staff of the Saint Leo University ministry office.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.