Senior Human Resources Generalist
Department:: Employee Services
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Aug 30, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Position Title: Senior Human Resources Generalist
Job status: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of Employee Services
Supervises: Student Workers
Summary of Position:
The Sr. HR Generalist provides proactive HR partnership to the departments throughout the College. The role administers a full range of services for student, staff, and faculty employees including recruitment, compensation setting, hiring, onboarding, employee relations, training, workforce planning and the associated administrative data/systems entry. The role will take a hands-on approach and strong outreach approach with managers and leaders throughout the College. Performance management, training, coaching and committee involved is important in the role, as well as, maintaining daily administrative work activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides support to supervisors and employees regarding personnel practices and policies to ensure compliance with all state and federal employment regulations, provides HR Policy guidance and interpretation;
- Facilitates a centralized employee recruitment processes in a consistent, easily understood, timely and efficient manner
- Works closely with HR Assistant in processing new hire paperwork and onboarding
- Supports the entire Employees Services team providing and hearing ideas and suggestions in developing and establishing new and improved processes;
- Supports professional development initiatives through the institution, e.g. Monthly Manager's brown bag meetings, performance management training, etc;
- Responsible for surveying comparable institutions, recommending appropriate revisions or changes to existing programs and, if approved, soliciting bids and negotiating contracts with providers;
- Provides input and suggestions on employee performance issues, compensation planning, ;
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention;
- Provides input on department restructures, workforce planning, and succession planning;
- Administers all exit interviews;
- Produce various statistical and ad hoc reports;
- Maintain and update job descriptions for all college positions; assist managers in preparing job descriptions as required.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicates regularly with supervisor about departmental issues;
- Makes recommendations to Chief HR Officer regarding improvements;
- Supports Employee Services events and initiatives;
- Function as backup for benefits;
- Various committees as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of human resources principles, practices and procedures related to benefits, payroll, compensation and classifications; compliance issues and practical application (e.g. EEO, Wage/Hour, FMLA, Workers Compensation, etc.);
- Employee relations and personnel support;
- Foster a diverse, multicultural, success-oriented workplace;
- Experience/Understanding in researching and managing survey submissions;
- Understanding of data benchmarking;
- Excellent consulting skills, conflict management skills, and interpersonal skills;
- Exceptional problem solving/analysis;
- Leadership and responsiveness;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Familiarity with Ellucian Banner (HRIS) a plus;
Education and Training
- Minimum 5 years of HR generalist experience, professional development and/or education equivalent to a bachelor's degree, masters preferred.
- Work with both undergraduate and graduate level educational organizations preferred;
- Union contract involvement a plus;
- SPHR/PHR certification a plus
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands
- Office environment with periodic requirement to sit, stand, walk, kneel, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, balance, stoop, and lift up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to effectively exchange information in person or on the telephone.
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE of 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 10 days of vacation for year one, 15 days of vacation for years 2-10, and 22 days of vacation years 10+ plus, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://www.mills.edu/policies/ada-policies/nondiscrimination-statement.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.