Assistant Director, Diversity Recruitment, MBA Admissions
Organization: The mission of Harvard Business School is to educate leaders who make a difference in the world.
Description: MBA Admissions seeks an Assistant Director for our marketing team to oversee our efforts to attract and enroll prospective students from backgrounds traditionally under-represented in top full-time MBA programs to support the HBS mission of educating leaders who make a difference in the world. The MBA Admissions marketing team oversees the prospective student journey from the recruiting phase (across channels—on campus events, off campus events, social media, e-mail, etc.) through encouraging students to attend Harvard Business School after they are admitted. The Assistant Director will be a member of the MBA Admissions evaluation board, reviewing applications and interviewing candidates. We seek someone with good judgment, strong communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills to play a key role on an engaging, high-performing team.
Diversity Outreach strategy, oversight, yield, and relationship management
- Develop outreach strategy to raise awareness among and attract a diverse pool (broadly defined) of MBA candidates, with a particular focus on diversity represented through race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, and first generation college students
- Oversee the strategic deployment of finite resources (financial and staff time) to achieve effective and efficient results
- Manage under-represented minority (URM) data and annual strategic planning
- Co-create and execute outreach and yield events for prospective applicants and new admits
- Attend URM and First Gen focused conferences/ seminars to conduct HBS Admissions presentations
- Plan off-campus events (e.g., Diverse Perspectives outreach event, yield events)
- Oversee on-campus diversity focused visit days
- Partner with Admissions Manager to lead recruitment at campuses that have large numbers of URM students (e.g. HBCUs, state flagships)
- Oversee key relationships related to URM, First Gen and socioeconomic diversity
- Build and manage relationships with leaders and individual members of the HBS African-American Alumni Association, the HBS Latino Alumni Association, the African American Student Union (AASU), the Latino Student Organization (LASO), and HUNAP (Harvard University Native American Program)
- Host regular URM focus group meetings to maintain pulse on key issues
- Identify valuable outside organizations (both those focused on First Gen college students and URM candidates); build, maintain, and deepen relationships with prioritized organizations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Doctoral partner organizations focused on under-represented minorities in doctoral programs
- Provide oversight and support for the Summer Venture in Management Program (SVMP) and Diversity Focused Prospective Student Visit Days
- Oversee the yield process for under-represented minority admitted students, working closely with other Admissions staff
Serve as primary point of contact and build meaningful one-on-one relationships for prospective students of color and those from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds (including intersectional identities e.g., women of color, people of color who identify as LGBTQ) for questions related to the HBS MBA experience and admissions
- Partner with Admissions digital marketing to ensure our URM target audience is fully represented in the external content we're publishing in social media, blogs, emails and website
- Convey impressions of the HBS experiences of URM students to HBS senior leaders
Basic Qualifications :
Bachelor's and Master's degree required, MBA degree preferred. 7+ years of experience required.
Additional Qualifications :
- Demonstrated track record of bringing diversity, inclusion, and belonging to your workplace and/or to an organization you have been involved with; deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities associated with recruiting candidates from diverse backgrounds
- Positive self-starter who has experience with independent project execution
- Exceptional EQ, interpersonal and communication skills (including strong presentation skills) and the ability to adhere to the highest ethical standards
- Ability to travel and integrate work-style effectively with cross-functional teams across the organization
- Strong and thoughtful people management skills, with demonstrated success managing and inspiring teams to achieve goals
- Experience managing relationships across multiple stakeholders (e.g., 3rd party partnerships, alumni, students, etc.)
- Interest in or experience with digital marketing a plus.
Additional Information :
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop into a full Admissions Board Member; training and onboarding to take place over a few Evaluation cycles
- Serve as member of the MBA Interview Board
- Assess student qualifications through online/written application focused initially on SVMP
- Manage a full time team member also heavily focused on diversity outreach and SVMP
- Coordinate closely with those on the marketing team who oversee LGBTQ and women's outreach
- Help support team-wide events and activities such as Outreach events, conferences, etc.
- Contribute to collaborative culture with willingness to both teach and learn from colleagues
- Represent HBS MBA Admissions at a variety of on and off-campus events, both domestically and potentially internationally
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned
Why you'll love this job
- Make an impact by meaningfully engaging with students and prospective students as they shape their MBA experience
- Join a group of talented staff and faculty colleagues committed to excellence in the delivery of our mission to “educate leaders who make a difference in the world”
- Grow your career here- be exposed to the inner workings of a world-renowned business school and develop your skills and experience
- Competitive salary and benefits as well as a commitment to a sustainable work-life integration
- Experience a truly impressive degree of operational excellence
- You will learn and contribute to a unique approach to supporting the holistic student experience
- You will have the opportunity to help change an organization that aims to change the world
Get a first-hand look into the vibrancy of the HBS community- Working at HBS. Follow @HBSJobs
Many HBS employees are eligible for Flexible Work Arrangements, which may be explored during the interview process.
Cover Letter is Required.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS are strengthened profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more.
Explore HBS Work Culture at http://www.hbs.edu/employment/ and learn about other Employment Opportunities.
Follow us on Twitter @HBSJobs
Harvard Business School will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.