DescriptionEmployee Services provides the University of Colorado community with services from recruitment to retirement. The department provides functional and technical expertise in the areas of benefits, human resources, international tax, learning and development, payroll, retirement, technologies and financial wellness. Employee Services strives to create a workforce that is stronger, healthier and more secure.
The position of the Payroll Coordinator serves as part of a Payroll cross-functional team consisting of HCM/Payroll Support, Payroll Coordinators, and Payroll Processors. The teams work together, sharing information, with identified campus staff, students, and system users, rotating as determined by team and leadership. This position advises, supports and counsels university faculty, staff, students, retirees and their dependents through payroll policies and procedures and assists department users entering new or correctional payroll transactions into the Human Capital Management (HCM) system.
Payroll Coordinators are responsible for the day-to-day payroll functions. They work closely with HCM/Payroll Support Professionals to assess incoming issues or concerns and determine the best way to resolve them. This person must determine the customer’s knowledge base to educate them on appropriate procedures to ensure timely and accurate payroll payments, and may guide users to the appropriate resource materials and training guides. They will escalate issues to other members of their payroll team as appropriate. This person will be responsible for recording contact information and resolutions into Cherwell. The Payroll Coordinator reports to the Payroll Manager and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Support Day to day payroll responsibilities which include processing:
- Off-cycle payments
- ACH bank returns (partial and full)
- Bank pulls
- Death pay-outs
- Deduction and contribution adjustments
- Child Services
- Letters requesting salary information
- Payroll expense transfers
- Provide support to campus users regarding CU policies and procedures, HCM system, including questions with position data, job data, personal data, and time collection.
- Answer questions and resolve issues in a timely manner related to payroll processes and activities including Time and Attendance and Absence Management.
- Work with other members of the Payroll cross-functional team regarding escalated issues.
- Provide timely feedback to the organization regarding service failures or customer concerns.
- Build sustainable relationships with team and campus staff through trust and open and interactive communication.
- Track all escalations and calls via the Cherwell ticketing system.
- Adhere to established metrics with regards to ticket closure.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of payroll policies and practices.
- Knowledge of how social security, Medicare, federal and state taxes are taken on a paycheck.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities, while maintaining personal effectiveness.
- Ability to deliver a high level of commitment to customer service.
- Skilled in and ability to utilize Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other University personnel, and the public.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
Salary: The established salary range for this position is $52,000-$55,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational may be substituted by professional experience, including two years’ experience in a Customer Service environment).
- Two (2) years processing payroll activities.
- Prior work experience in Higher Education environments;
- Knowledge and experience with PeopleSoft HCM system.
- Work experience in Human Resources or Payroll
- Professional Payroll certifications (CPP)
Job Category: Human Resources
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Aug 29, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing