Assistant Professor - Religious Studies
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypeTenured/Tenure-Track FacultyIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoWorking TitleAssistant Professor - Religious StudiesSalary RangeAnticipated Hiring RangeSalary will be commensurate with education and experiencePosition Number00004170Work ScheduleDependent upon teaching scheduleFull Time Equivalent (FTE)1.00Department160501 - Philosophy & Religious StudiesDepartmentPhilosophy & Religious StudiesJob City & StateRaleigh, NCPrimary Function of Organizational Unit
The NC State Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies is committed to:
- Offering a high-quality undergraduate Philosophy curriculum, including a major and minor in Philosophy, that gives students an opportunity to confront through historical and contemporary resources a wide range of central philosophical issues, such as the relationship between the mind and brain, the ethical implications of scientific advances, the justification of moral, political, and legal institutions, the relationship between human knowledge and reality, and the nature of the logic that structures human language and thought.
- offering a high-quality undergraduate Religious Studies curriculum, including a major and a minor in Religious Studies, that provides students an extended opportunity to examine the multiple interpretations of the category “religion” – including religion as a social construction, as an element of psychological development, as a branch of metaphysics, and as a constellation of ritual practices – and the ways in which religious traditions have played a central role in human culture and history.
- Developing the analytical abilities and expressive powers of its students.
- providing and expanding educational and research opportunities in interdisciplinary fields related to Philosophy and Religious Studies at the undergraduate and the graduate level.
- Conducting research, teaching and scholarship that further knowledge and understanding in Philosophy, Religious Studies, and related interdisciplinary fields.
The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at North Carolina State University welcomes applications for an appointment as a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Religious Studies with a specialization in Islam.
Candidates must have a PhD in Religious Studies or a closely related field and superior teaching and research abilities. The standard teaching load will be four courses a year. Candidates must be able to teaching introductory to advanced courses on Islam and to contribute to the Department’s core teaching needs in other areas of Religious Studies. Other responsibilities include research, publication and academic service.Other Work/ResponsibilitiesMinimum Education/Experience
PhD in Religious Studies or closely related field required.
Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Departmental Required Skills
Evidence of teaching effectiveness and research abilities.
Superior communication skills.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Teaching experience at the college level preferred.Required License or Certification
Please attach your application letter, curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching effectiveness (under “Other Document (1)”), and a writing sample (which should not exceed 25 pages) to your on-line application, and arrange to have three letters of reference sent to: Religious Studies Search Committee, Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, North Carolina State University, Campus Box 8103, Raleigh, NC 27695-8103.
Review of applications will begin on October 21, 2019.
Inclusiveness and diversity are academic imperatives and thus are university goals. We are particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for students from underrepresented groups.Job Open Date08/29/2019Anticipated Closing DateIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire DateAA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Short Writing Sample
- Other Document (1)
- Contact Information for References