Associate Professor or Professor of Leadership Education and Development, Winter/Fall 2020
Department: Attallah College of Educational Studies
Category: Faculty; Status: Full-time
The Donna Ford Attallah College of Educational Studies at Chapman University seeks applications for a tenured or tenure-track Associate Professor or Professor of Leadership Education and Development in their Master of Arts in Leadership Development (MLD) and Ph.D. in Education, Leadership Studies emphasis programs. The start date is negotiable.
The MLD develops leaders who are capable of shaping leadership skills and practices within themselves and others. The program encourages students to look beyond content and task outcomes to focus on relationships and critical processes. Our graduates develop the skills to be creative and innovative in driving purposeful, equitable, and sustained change. Modeling the core values of Attallah College: self-awareness, caring, courage, service, affirming diversity, and civic engagement, the MLD appeals to a wide range of professionals in diverse settings. The Ph.D. in Education, Leadership Studies emphasis prepares students to seek careers in research-oriented leadership positions, including pre K-12, higher education, and positions of leadership applied to many different settings. The program focuses on new ways to think about leadership issues and how to solve problems locally, globally, and virtually.
The Donna Ford Attallah College of Educational Studies houses both undergraduate and graduate programs in leadership, teacher education, and school counseling and psychology. In Attallah College, we recognize the need to develop leaders who can apply evidence-based approaches to their work, while maintaining the social consciousness to address inequities grounded in organizational and social policies and practices. Our programs seek to prepare professionals who are forward thinking and who envision the world of education broadly, and in new and dynamic ways, including systems notions of the interconnectivity between schools, communities, and other organizations. We are committed to providing Chapman University students with a dynamic and intellectually challenging liberal arts-based education that promotes critical social transformation among our students, and in schools, communities, organizations, and society. More information about Donna Ford Attallah College of Educational Studies is available at https://www.chapman.edu/education.
Chapman University, located in the heart of Orange County, California, offers traditional undergraduate programs in the arts and sciences and select pre-professional and graduate programs. Ranked in the top tier of Western universities, by U.S. News and World Report, Chapman has gained national recognition with its commitment to excellence through research and ground-breaking teaching. The University is classified by Carnegie as an R-2 research institution; Chapman has gained national recognition with its commitment to excellence through research and innovative teaching. More information is available at https://www.chapman.edu/
The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/diversity.
* An earned doctorate in Leadership Studies, Educational Leadership, Organizational Leadership, Community-Based Leadership (or related fields)
* Expertise in pre K-12 educational leadership
* Evidence of effective teaching in higher education
* A demonstrated record of sustained and significant research and scholarship
* Active involvement in professional organizations
* Evidence of seeking and securing external grant funding for research
* Experience in public education as a district and/or school leader
* Experience teaching in an administrative credential/licensure program
* Experiencing chairing dissertations and/or master’s theses or culminating projects
* A research agenda that addresses leadership issues including education, social justice, and equity
* Experience using technology to enhance educational environments
* Experience with state, regional, and/or national (e.g. Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accreditation and implementation of program assessment
* Desire to foster innovative leadership development and/or educational experiences for individuals working in a variety of settings including pre K-12 education, higher education, community agencies, public sector, for-profit, and non-profit organizations
* Demonstrated commitment to collaborative research
* Experience with student-centered environments
* Understanding of leadership and education for a fully inclusive, just, and diverse society
To be considered for the rank of full professor with tenure, a candidate would need at least a significant record of publications, outstanding teaching evaluations, as well as a strong service record.
*Teach, advise, and mentor students in our MLD and Ph.D. programs
* Teach graduate courses in the areas of pre K-12 educational policy and leadership
* Work collaboratively with university colleagues, local public/private schools, as well as regional, state, and national education agencies/professional organizations
* Actively contribute as an integral member of Attallah College faculty in the ongoing development, implementation, and assessment of our degree and credential programs
* Maintain a strong research agenda and actively seek external funding to support research
Qualified applicants should electronically submit the following six items:
o Chapman University faculty application o Cover letter detailing qualifications related to the position description
o Curriculum vitae
o Evidence of teaching excellence (e.g., evaluations, commendations, awards, etc.)
o One sample of research publications/submissions
o Contact information for three professional references
All application materials should be submitted via email to:
Dr. Whitney McIntyre Miller, Search Committee Chair c/o Laura Burns, Search Coordinator, at [email protected] Please use “Leadership Education Position” as the subject of the email.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Chapman University offers a relocation expense reimbursement package as well as a first-time Orange County homebuyer assistance program. Successful completion of a background check is required for the final candidate.
Inquiries: All inquiries about the position should be directed to Laura Burns at [email protected] Download a copy of the Chapman Faculty Application for Employment here: https://web.chapman.edu/jobs/NewHire-FacultyApplication.docx.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Apply for Associate Professor or Professor of Leadership Education and Development, Winter/Fall 2020
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly