The Bonnie and Peter Raquet Endowed Director's Chair for the Institute for Leadership and Service
The Institute for Leadership and Service exists to support Valparaiso University’s mission of preparing women and men to lead and serve in church and society. Located in the Helge Center for Mission and Ministry, the Institute works with faculty, staff, alumni and selected partners to support a rich array of programs including academic courses, skill-building workshops, exemplary speakers, and internship programs. The goal of these efforts is to prepare Valpo graduates to integrate their academic study, their service, and their plans for future success around a deeper sense of purpose and calling. The Institute seeks to develop graduates who have been shaped by purposeful academic preparation, who have explored their callings, who have been primed for reflective practice, and who are responsive to the deepest challenges of the world by drawing on their character, wisdom, and integrity. The Raquet Director’s Chair oversees planning, outreach (especially with donors) and operations for the Institute. As both a thought leader and relationship builder, the next holder of this position will foster interest, participation and investment in the Institute among faculty, students, alumni and outside organizations through a combination of intellectual leadership and programmatic innovation. The position is a full time, executive level position secured by an endowment.
Responsibilities of the Raquet Director’s Chair
- Define strategic direction in consultation with university leaders, advisors and the Assistant Vice-President for Mission and Ministry.
- Develop relationships with foundations and donors to support programs and innovation.
- Teach regularly and conduct research on topics related to leadership and service.
- Foster faculty engagement and curricular attention to the goals of the Institute.
- Develop partnerships and convene university departments, offices or programs to support Institute goals.
- Create relationships with alumni to spur investment and engagement in the Institute.
- Oversee Institute's operations and staff.
- Envision four year integrated program to explore vocation for undergraduates.
- Develop partnerships with national organizations in leadership, service, and vocation.
- Develop partnerships with local and regional organizations to support mission.
- Conduct comprehensive and continuing reviews of Institute programs and structure.
- Work in partnership with the staffs of the Chapel of the Resurrection, Church Relations, and other Helge Center programs.
Qualifications of the Raquet Director’s Chair
- Creative, visionary thinker, idea-oriented.
- Proven investment in concepts of leadership, service, vocation, both for church and society.
- Strong relational skills.
- Evidence of successful team leadership.
- Highly effective communicator, both verbally and in writing.
- At least five years prior experience in program development and administration.
- Compelling record of publications and public speaking.
- Familiarity with and involvement in relevant professional organizations.
- Master’s degree required, appropriate terminal degree preferred.
To be considered for this position, a candidate must upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references to Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.com/67813
Cover letter should be addressed to Brian Johnson, Assistant Vice President for Mission and Ministry, Valparaiso University, Helge Center, 1600 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso, IN 46383.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds. Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.