The College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics at Eastern Washington University (EWU) invites applications for a faculty position in the Department of Engineering & Design due to dramatic growth over the past few years. We are looking for a Lecturer of Manufacturing Technology to begin in September 2019.
We are seeking broadly trained candidates who will be inspirational teachers, role models, and mentors who complement the strengths of our faculty to engage in instructionally-intensive undergraduate programs. EWU is one of the most culturally and economically diverse universities in the state of Washington and recently won a Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award. Approximately one-third of the students are multicultural and half are first generation to college. A demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public is desired. Additionally, all faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
The successful candidate will have earned a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, or a closely related field by the appointment date. Candidates must have demonstrated ability to do metal forming operations such as turning, milling, sheet metal, casting, and welding. It is preferred that the candidate have at least one year of teaching or training experience, 3 or more years-experience in manufacturing, and CNC machining experience including creation of debugging of g-code. The successful candidate must have a strong interest in teaching undergraduate Manufacturing Technology courses and excellent communication skills to meet the needs of our diverse student body. All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.
Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing or a closely related field;
- Strong interest in teaching undergraduate Manufacturing Technology courses;
- Demonstrated ability to do metal forming operations such as turning, milling, sheet metal, casting, and welding;
- Commitment to maintaining a safe teaching and work environment;
- Excellent communication skills to meet the needs of our diverse student body
- Master's degree in Engineering, Manufacturing, or a closely related field;
- 3 or more years of experience in metals manufacturing using the tools and techniques listed: metal forming operations such as turning, milling, sheet metal, casting, and welding;
- 1 or more years of teaching and/or training experience;
- CNC machining experience, preferably including creation and trouble-shooting of g-code