Enrollment Services VA Specialist
Job location: Maryland - Montgomery County
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-23
Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.Job TitleEnrollment Services VA SpecialistJob Description SummaryMontgomery College has an immediate need for two full-time, non-bargaining, non-exempt, Enrollment Services Veterans Affairs (VA) Specialist. One position is based at the Rockville Campus and the other at the Takoma Park/Silver Spring Campus. The work schedule is 40 hours per week and the normal working hours are Monday – Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm.
Montgomery College is a public, fully accredited, open admission institution. Led by President DeRionne P. Pollard, Ph.D., Montgomery College is dedicated to student success and widely recognized for the quality and scope of its academic programs. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? The faculty and staff of MC are integral to our continued excellence. We are looking for dedicated professionals for opportunities throughout the College.Job Description
Duties include but are not limited to:
Serve as Veterans Affairs (VA) School Certifying Official for Montgomery College and assist veterans and active military personnel with the GI Bill and other educational benefits.
- Develop and maintain broad knowledge of GI Bill benefits Chapters Montgomery GI Bill (30), Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits (31), Post 9/11 GI Bill (33), Dependent Montgomery GI Bill (35), Reservist GI Bill (1606/ 1607), Title 10 USC for regulations and procedures on certifying veterans for educational benefits.
- Inform students regarding their eligibility for GI Bill educational benefits processes, include but not limited to application process for admission, GI Bill education benefits, regulations of the GI Bill and student code of conduct, deadlines of transfer application, registration, payment process, verification forms and eligible programs.
- Maintain files for veterans for Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) requirements and Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) required compliance audit.
- Verify prior training and college credits each semester. Perform graduation audits each semester to ensure students' classes are required for their curriculum.
- Serve as College liaison to Department of Veterans Affairs in DC and the Buffalo Regional Office, the Maryland Higher Education Commission in Baltimore and to local Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) Vocational Rehabilitation specialists.
- Inform Student Services colleagues regarding VA processes and their requirements.
- Monitor academic progress of all students receiving VA benefits; check and certify status changes.
- Certify student enrollment for VA benefits.
- Submit VA applications and supporting documents to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
- Maintain folders on eligible students in compliance with to DVA and Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) regulations.
- Investigate account discrepancies on veterans’ records and clean them up.
- Manage debt letters from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and Debt Management Center (DMC).
- Return funds to Debt Management Center (DMC) or veterans.
- Advise military community in-person, by email, and phone, regarding benefits.
- Create education plans for My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) for military spouses.
- Create education plans Active Duty personnel for Federal Tuition Assistances (TA).
Submit a variety of reports to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) and different branches of the military such as the Army, Navy, and Air Force. Submit reports to Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) regarding new curriculum and update programs.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Associate’s degree.
- Two years of experience working in admissions, registration or an enrollment office at a college or university to include direct experience certifying Veterans Affairs benefits.
- Skill in oral and written communication, interpersonal relationships, organization, multi-tasking, entering data correctly and making simple calculations.
- Skill in proofreading and Web technologies and creativity for developing user-friendly print and Web-based publications.
- Ability to work with a diverse population; to be attentive to detail; and to problem solve.
- Proficiency in using a personal computer and software applications including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Apply online at http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment
For consideration, you must: Submit a cover letter along with your resume.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check.
- Participation in a retirement plan.
Our benefits package includes: generous paid vacation, sick, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, group legal benefits, professional development, retirement plan, educational assistance, tuition waiver for employee and dependents, wellness programming including onsite gyms, pools and classes.Closing DateOpen Until FilledMontgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplaceFor disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353or send an email to: [email protected]Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promotingequal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.