Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-26
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Academic Advisor is responsible for advising and mentoring student-athletes, monitoring the academic progress of student-athletes to include tutor assignment; coordinating registration process; assisting with recruitment process; and assisting with the eligibility certification process. The Academic Advisor will primarily work with assigned sports and coordinate the awards and honors program for our scholar-athletes. The Academic Advisor will join a team committed to providing students with strategies to navigate their undergraduate experience at the University of Miami, including effective study strategies based on individual learning preferences and will provide advisement and referral to students with academic, career and/or personal concerns. This individual will also participate in monitoring NCAA, ACC and University of Miami eligibility for the student-athletes on these teams.Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities to nominate student-athletes for awards and honors and coordinate the nomination process.
- Facilitate scheduling of tutoring for assigned student-athletes.
- Assign tutors to student-athletes.
- Refer student-athletes to campus resources when necessary.
- Daily monitor and distribute tutor session reports.
- Generate a weekly report by sport on tutoring hours.
- Plan and manage annual graduation reception.
- Assist Director with budget oversight as it relates to graduation reception.
- Monitor class attendance of assigned student-athletes.
- Serve as Liaison to assigned sport/coach.
- Meet with coaches on a weekly basis.
- Meet with teams periodically.
- Advise student-athletes regularly.
- Monitor academic progress toward graduation of student-athletes.
- Assist with tracking of NCAA/ACC /University of Miami Eligibility Rules.
- Assist with Study Hall Program.
- Help with various office duties as needed and other duties as assigned.
- Evaluate transcripts for unofficial and official visits.
- Meet weekly with student-athletes to discuss their academic responsibilities.
- Organize a timeline for students to study and complete assignments.
- Produce weekly reports detailing what was accomplished by the student and what assignments are still required.
- Work with advisors in schools to ensure required satisfactory academic progress.
- Pro-Active Mentorship Program
- Assist with the FAST program (Freshman Academic Success Training)
- Assist the Learning Specialist with student evaluations and educational programming.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One year of experience.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c103