Director, IT (Virtual Server/Non Unix)
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-23
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
UHealth IT is seeking a Director, Information Technology oversees all aspects of computer technical support services and help desk operations and coordinates activities for University-wide IT projects. The incumbent in this position directs internal teams in the execution of initiatives as they relate to computers, application support and services, and strategic IT initiatives. This position exercises considerable judgment by making decisions in unprecedented situations.
The primary responsibilities are:
Develop reliable metrics for hardware, software and storage while ensuring strategic
• Communicate clearly with administrative and health care staff as well as patients and
• Oversee the operation of physical and virtual server systems.
• Direct and support implementation of software and hardware upgrades.
• Identify and recommend new technology solutions that we can implement in our
• Oversees the economical and effective utilization of production facilities and resources
including personnel and equipment.
• Estimates resource requirements and the cost of maintaining production services to
insure both flexibility and machine capacity to meet normal production requirements.
• Assumes extensive responsibility for projecting and planning future hardware, software
and personnel needs.
• Informs management of recurring or projected resource and capacity problems and
initiates and coordinates planning and/or corrective action.
• Reviews, approves and directs the design and implementation of production procedures
and performs planning and scheduling of operations resources.
• Evaluates the performance of production resources and reports the results to
management. Implements change where required to improve production performance.
• Prepares budgets and related financial documents for the UHealth Information
• Approves procedural and security standards for UHealth Information Technology
functions to protect the security of the installation, the data processed by the department
and its personnel, UHealth Information Technology programs, and the computer
equipment that performs the necessary processing.
• Insures the maintenance of a clean, healthy, and efficient working environment for all
UHealth Information Technology personnel.
• Works with management to coordinate and improve UHealth Information Technology
• Assists in the development of and approves a contingency plan to insure system backup
and recovery capability for the UHealth Information Technology area.
• Oversees and insures efficient and effective usage of supplies, materials and services for
the UHealth Information Technology area.
Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
Minimum 7 years of relevant experience required. 8 - 10 years Information Technology experience with at least four years in production scheduling and computer operations supervision and management strongly preferred. Operating systems background on mainframe computers in operation by the enterprise is mandatory. Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:i108