Director for Residence Life and Housing
The Director for Residence Life and Housing is a professional, full-time, live-in, staff member of the Office of Residence Life and Housing. The Director reports directly to the Dean of Students. The Director will lead a team effort tasked with the overall management and operation of the residence hall. Principal duties include staff supervision, implementation of academic initiatives, student development, community development, administration and building management, and general departmental responsibilities.
The Director for Residence Life and Housing is expected to work collaboratively to encourage, build, and promote a vibrant, respectful and supportive community within the 200-bed residence hall. The Director is expected to have daytime office hours and have presence within the building during evenings and weekends. The Director provide supervision of the staff comprised of a part-time Community Coordinator, two part-time Assistant Community Coordinators, student Resident Assistants, and Summer Housing Assistants. The Director coordinates and participates in emergency response on call schedule and building oversight. The Director, with the team of residence life staff, is expected to develop wellness and educational programming. The residence hall remains open consistently throughout the year, even during college breaks; as such, it is expected that every member of the residence life staff works cooperatively to provide building coverage during break periods. The residence life staff is part of the Dean of Students Team and part of the larger Student Affairs Division of Vaughn College.
- Manage one residence hall of approximately 200 residents.
- Supervise a staff composed of 1 Community Coordinator and 2 Assistant Community Coordinators.
- Supervise, select, train and evaluate a student staff of 5-6 Resident Assistants.
- Conduct one-on-one meetings and weekly staff meetings with Community Coordinator and Resident Assistants.
- Coordinate August and January training, retreats, in-service training sessions.
- Implement hall openings and closings procedures at the beginning and end of each semester as well as holidays.
- Oversee resident student conduct matters by investigating incidents, meeting with students and assigning sanctions.
- Submit administrative reports and forms (i.e. room condition reports, occupancy reports, room changes, judicial conduct files) in a timely manner.
- Oversee and track hall programs and activities planned by the Resident Assistants.
- Uphold all Housing and Residence Life and College policies, be familiar with emergency procedures as well as respond in a timely manner for situations related to the safety, security and well-being of the residents.
- Establish a positive working environment with building maintenance staff and security, as well as all faculty and college staff.
- Attend weekly one-on-one meetings with the Dean of Students (DOS) and weekly DOS staff meetings.
- Assist with departmental projects and initiatives as assigned by the Dean of Students.
- Support and attend College events and programs.
- Represent the residence life area to many constituents including personnel from offices/departments on campus, prospective students and their parents, representatives of camp/conference groups
- Collect and maintain residence hall data to include lock-out logs, incident management, maintenance, programming
- Serve as liaison/representative on the Food Service Committee
- Other duties as assigned by the Student Affairs leadership including the Vice President, and the Dean of Students
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited 4-year institution.
- Prior experience in a college residence hall.
- Cultural competency, having the knowledge and the ability to empathize with diverse students and staff
- Excellent communication, the ability to communicate clearly and concisely articulate information both through discussions and documentation
- Computer comfortability, having knowledge to use the Microsoft Office suite with ease and the ability to be trained on the local College software used for student information and collegiate electronic files
- Organizational management, ability to successfully manage multiple tasks, prioritize work, meet deadlines, perform well under pressure
- Supportive of student success, understands the importance of attaining a college education and has the initiative to connect students with resources
- Adaptable/Quick Learner, the ability to consume and readily apply information to the work, including knowledge of College process, policies and procedures.
- Exercise good judgement, gathers information, seeks assistance when indicated before making decisions
- Ability to define problems collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions
- Ability to understand and follow directions, accepts direction from supervisor
Work environment and physical functions
- The Director for Residence Life and Housing is required to live in the residence hall and have general presence within the building, and specifically while serving on duty for on-call emergencies during evenings and weekends.
- This position requires a great deal of mobility and flexibility. There are expectations of working in an office environment and the ability to be mobile throughout the building. Generally, an employee needs to be able to sit, stand, and navigate within the work environment. The office equipment either individually used or shared with a department is the responsibility of all employees.
- This position is designated as essential personnel and is required to be present for major residence life activities (i.e. Fall move-in, Spring move-out), and for emergency situations.
- Experience with event planning
- Supervisory experience
- Master’s degree
- Fluency in Spanish
- Familiarity with New York City
Apply for Director for Residence Life and Housing
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly