Senior Systems & Network Engineer
Job location: Chicago, IL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-28
The Senior Network\Security Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation and secure operation of a nationwide network infrastructure that spans over 17 locations across multiple time zones. Main duties include architecting and deploying network infrastructure to new and existing locations, ensuring network service availability, applying security best practices and working with vendors to resolve problems and provision services. This position is also responsible for creating project plans and communicating status of major infrastructure initiatives as well as maintaining a library of documentation on architecture and processes.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and professionalism while using technical, analytical and communication skills to collaborate with IT staff in central IT and at the college locations. Promptly address issues affecting systems security and availability.
- Provide technical expertise in a WAN, LAN, VPN and Firewall technologies as well as OSPF and BGP routing while leading design and implementation projects.
- Manage CISCO router, switch, and firewall configurations system-wide to ensure a high level of security, availability and performance.
- Troubleshoot and resolve network problems between/within sites.
- Help support datacenter operations in a Cisco, F5, VMware and Windows-based environment.
- Ensure the continuity of services by maintaining accurate and complete records for licenses, maintenance contracts, and service agreements related to all network equipment and services.
- Manage relationships with key technology vendors to ensure services are delivered consistently and in a cost effective manner, and that issues are escalated effectively.
- Define, document, and monitor systems operations procedures.
- Responsible for the availability and quality of network services. Define and regularly report on metrics to describe system reliability and availability.
- Participate in special projects and other duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to translate technical concepts into user-friendly English.
- Cisco routing and switching on a large scale with in-depth understanding of OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and QoS methodologies.
- Extensive experience with CISCO 2911, 3900 and Nexus 5000 series switches.
- Cisco DNA, SDN, and SDWAN, Viptela experience preferred.
- Competency with Windows Server, VMware, RedHat Linux, Cisco UCS, NetApp, EMC and Solar Winds platforms.
- Configuration and troubleshooting experience with storage solutions – direct attached and Storage Area Network (SAN) based.
- Vendor management
- Network security best practices and device & server hardening.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with a related major, such as computer science, information technology, engineering or mathematics preferred.
- Minimum five years’ experience in a mission critical, corporate IT work environment.
- Experience writing Business/Information Technology policies to improve the efficiency of the company's use of technology preferred.
- Cisco Certifications: CCNP or CCIE preferred.
- Strong analytical, written/verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
TCS Education System offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.
TCS Education System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.