Adjunct Counselor: English/Spanish Bilingual-WEOC
Category:: Adjunct Positions - Non-Teaching Faculty
Department:: Westchester Educational Opportunity Center (WEOC)
Locations:: Valhalla, NY
Posted:: Aug 1, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Type:: Non-Teaching Faculty
Ref. No.:: ACESB8119
About Westchester Community College:
The SUNY Westchester Educational Opportunity Center (WEOC), a division of Westchester Community College, is seeking a highly motivated, innovative and energetic professional to join its team. Located in downtown Yonkers, NY, this non-traditional performance-driven institution provides tuition-free academic and vocational training to eligible underserved adults preparing for college and/or seeking career-oriented employment.
Under general supervision of the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, the Adjunct English/Spanish Bilingual Counselor:
- Administers and interprets interest, aptitude and intelligence tests and conducts interviews to obtain information about personal, academic and work histories to determine students' placement in programs and their service needs, with special emphasis on English/Spanish Bilingual students;
- Provides guidance and counseling related to personal, academic and work matters and provides intervention services when indicated;
- Works with other WEOC staff to assist in developing and monitoring student progress toward increasing effective retention and completion plans;
- Develops and monitors progress toward achieving educational and career plans with students;
- Provides crisis intervention referrals to external service agencies, when indicated;
- Monitors and evaluates students' progress in class and takes appropriate action to address any concerns; and,
- Documents counseling, case management, educational and career planning and other student interventions in student files, as appropriate.
The successful candidate must possess a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in a non-specific field, a Master's degree in Guidance Counseling, Psychology, Sociology, or closely related field, and 2 years of professional experience, preferably working with non-traditional adult learners. S/he must be fully fluent in reading, writing and speaking both English and Spanish, and must be flexible and comfortable working in a fast-paced and high stress environment.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: The position will remain open until filled.
HOURLY RATE OF PAY: $44.43/hour. No benefits. This position is fully grant funded.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. Please send a resume and cover letter. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.