Adjunct Personal Counselor
Category:: Non -Teaching Faculty Positions
Department:: Personal Counseling/Student Access, Involvement, and Success
Locations:: Valhalla, NY
Posted:: Jul 22, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: APC71819
About Westchester Community College:
Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. Westchester Community College is more than just the county's largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors.
Under general supervision of the Associate Dean for Student Life, the successful candidate will provide mental health support for students. This position's primary duties include, but are not limited to:
* Provide individual and group counseling and crisis intervention for students experiencing emotional or psychological distress at WCC extension centers.
* Conduct appropriate mental health, suicide, and risk assessments.
* Establish relationships with community resources and organizations in order to help provide appropriate referrals.
* Provide consultations for and serve as a resource to faculty, staff and administration around appropriate and effective methods to respond to students in crisis.
* Create workshops/programs for community members to educate them on mental health issues affecting the community and skill-set development for appropriate response.
* Serve as one of the College's Title IX confidential resources.
* Serve as a member on college interdisciplinary committees including college CARES Team, a cross-functional group of professionals who assess and recommend action items to reported student behaviors of concern.
* Other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Social Work or Mental Health Counseling with a valid New York State license (LMSW, LCSW, or LMHC). At least 1 year of post-licensure professional experience required. Preference given to candidates with experience in a college setting, particularly in the community college setting. The successful candidate must be effective functioning in a fast-paced, team-oriented, inclusive, and highly accountability environment. This position will require travel to WCC extension centers throughout Westchester. Preference will also be given to candidates who can communicate in both written and spoken Spanish.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: This position is fully grant funded. The work hours will vary, up to 28 hours per week. Evening and weekend hours will be required.
SALARY & BENEFITS: $44.43 per hour. No benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. Candidates can also send a letter expressing interest in this position, a resume, and three letters of recommendation. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.