Administrative Assistant for Newcomer Center
Goshen College seeks applicants for an Administrative Assistant to support the work of the Business, Communication, and English Departments. This position provides administrative support to the faculty members in three academic departments and serves as the liaison for the Newcomer Center building to other campus offices and departments. Employment is conditional upon successful completion of a background check.
The work of this position follows the rhythm and calendar of the Goshen College undergraduate calendar for traditional students. Work hours for this position are approximately 20-25 hours per week, spread over 5 work days, and scheduled when classes are in session (August – May). Few or no hours are scheduled during breaks and in the summer (June and July).
Academic department assistance as follows:
- Gathering, organizing, and sharing information needed for working with prospective students, alumni, and guests.
- Supporting a variety of department projects, publications, and co-curriculars (such as Pinchpenny Press, Broadside, Center for Mennonite Writing, The Record, WGCS, and Java Junction) with subscription and mailing lists, publication inventory, depositing funds, etc.
- Assisting with the planning and execution of department events and department guests (such as travel arrangements, catering orders, and invitation lists ).
- Recording minutes at meetings
Individual faculty assistance as follows:
- Assisting with travel arrangements (such as airline and car reservations, conference registration, hotel reservations).
- Creating, scanning, copying, and transcribing documents as needed by faculty for programs, classes, meetings, etc.
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: High school diploma required, some post High School education or relevant experience preferred.
- Strong ability to prioritize responsibilities without close supervision
- Able to simultaneously manage multiple tasks and responsibilities for many different people
- Computer competence in Google Drive (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Calendar, Mail) and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working independently, asking questions, and solving problems
Candidates must be committed to the community standards, mission and core values of Goshen College.About Goshen College:
Goshen College is an affordable, nationally-ranked Christian liberal arts college in Northern Indiana known for leadership in intercultural and international education, sustainability and social justice. The college offers bachelor’s degrees in more than 65 areas of study, as well as select graduate degrees. Goshen enrolls approximately 950 students from 35 states and 23 countries and is recognized for its innovative, life-changing study abroad program (Study-Service Term) and exceptional educational value. The 135-acre tree-filled campus features a world-class Music Center and a Rec-Fitness Center for 14 intercollegiate athletic teams. The extended campus includes a 1,189-acre natural sanctuary (the Merry Lea Environmental Learning Center near Wolf Lake, Ind.) and a marine biology lab in the Florida Keys. Rooted in the historically peaceful Mennonite church and established in 1894, the college’s Christ-centered mission produces passionate learners, compassionate peacemakers, global citizens and servant leaders. The college’s doors are open to all, with students from 40 different Christian denominations and several world religions. Experiential learning, faculty mentors and strong friendships are significant community strengths for students.
The college is located in the heart of Elkhart County in Northern Indiana, just a couple of hours from Chicago, Indianapolis and Detroit. Goshen was named the 2017 Indiana Community of the Year by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce for its amazing arts and entertainment, food scene, recreational opportunities, outstanding schools, affordable living, cultural diversity and entrepreneurial spirit. Learn more at goodofgoshen.com.How to apply for this position:
If you are applying through Indeed or another search engine, please make sure to go to www.goshen.edu/employment to apply.
Please be sure to provide all required materials noted below, as incomplete applications may not be considered. Application materials may be attached to the Staff Application Form or sent electronically to [email protected]
- Complete and submit the online Staff Application Form
- Letter of application
- List of three professional references with contact information
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Goshen College is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Goshen College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or any legally protected status. To protect the welfare and provide for the safety of the students, employees, visitors and resources of Goshen College, background checks are conducted by the Office of Human Resources on all new and re-hired employees.
1700 S. Main Street
Goshen, IN 46526-4795
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (574) 535-7111