Accounting Specialist (Temporary)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitleAccounting Specialist (Temporary)LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)Department LocationPosting NumberC00285PThe Institution
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.Position Summary
Under general supervision of the assigned administrator, performs various duties requiring initial contact with students and their financial aid records. Operations and resources are well defined. [For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) position Job Descriptions click here]
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year. (P6123- 3.2 & 3.3)Assignment Responsibilities
● Provides technical assistance in the analysis of accounting and other fiscally related issues within the designated business services department and to other departmental staff.
● Independently performs professional accounting duties in the overall establishment, maintenance and control of accounts and funds of the district.
● Leads the efforts of the annual closing and reopening of the district’s books and accounts.
● Prepares required analyses, working trial balances and other schedules required for the district’s annual audit.
● Prepares, presents, and assists in the development of management information reports.
● Provides suggestions to the supervisor as to the maintenance and/or development of new or revised operating procedures for new or modified programs, legislative changes, and district policies and regulations.
● Implements changes in procedures to enhance operations in the department.
● Assists in the improvement of district fiscal processes and procedures in such areas as the basic financial system, management information system and internal accounting controls.
● Analyzes district procedures to ensure compliance with board policies, Education Code provision and other State, Federal, and miscellaneous regulations.
● Assists in the development of specifications and develops microcomputer applications such as spread sheet and word processing applications.
● Serves as a lead for account clerks and other clerical personnel.
● Assists in the organization and workflow of the department.
● Serves as the backup to the supervisor.
● Develop and conducts training programs for college and district staff on business related procedures.
● Assists the supervisor in management and maintenance of department policies and procedures.
● Recommends and helps implement improved controls and processes for maintenance of the accounting system processes.
● Analyze and recommend changes to software supported by network systems/programs.
● Coordinate technology improvements through cooperation with the Business Services department supervisor, college staff and district management information staff.
● Assists in the establishment of departmental procedures and district wide processes.
● Act as a lead worker for other department staff by providing guidance and assistance in problem resolution
● Performs related work and other duties as required.
ARC – To be determined.
CRC – To be determined.
FLC – See Information Below.
SCC – To be determined.
Folsom Lake College
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., (Up to 3 days/week at Folsom Lake College, El Dorado Center, or Rancho Cordova Center depending on need). Selected candidate may be assigned to work some evenings from 10:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. Scheduled hours per week may vary from 24 to 40 hours depending on the needs of the department.
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year. (P6123- 3.2 & 3.3)Total Hrs per Week/DaySpecial RequirementsMinimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE: Three years of increasingly responsible experience in a large, automated environment in payroll, accounting or financial record keeping, equivalent to the Accounting Specialist duties; OR, one year of experience in Los Rios District performing duties at the level of an Accountant, or equivalent.
EDUCATION: A bachelor’s degree in business with a major in accounting or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/4959Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). Please copy and paste the provided URL for the form - https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/employees/hr/forms/p-881.pdf - and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5