Police Cadet to Officer Program
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitlePolice Cadet to Officer ProgramLocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)Department LocationLos Rios Police DepartmentPosting NumberC00910PThe Institution
The Los Rios Community College District is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office complex. The District office is centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and our community partners. Our departments strive for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.Position Summary
Under the direction of the Chief of Police or designee and subject to District regulations and Los Rios Police Department (LRPD) General Orders, provide police services at District locations, protecting life and property using a community-based policing approach that fosters positive public relations; investigating crimes; enforcing federal, state and municipal laws, and District policies and regulations. (For a detailed job description for this Service Employees International Union (Blue Collar) posting Job Descriptions click here)
This position is assigned to the Police Department.
The Police Officer Cadet position is utilized specifically for the purpose of training the incumbent to develop the minimum qualifications necessary to become a sworn police officer. The Police Officer Cadet is a full-time, long-term, temporary position; incumbents will receive pay and health benefits during the assignment.
Upon successful completion of the LRPD hiring and background process, Police Officer Cadets will attend the Basic Law Enforcement Academy at the Sacramento Regional Public Safety Training Center (SRPSTC) through the Los Rios Community College District. For course information visit – http://www.arc.losrios.edu/ARC_Majors/Public_Safety/Basic_Academy.htm
In addition to attending the (SRPSTC) Basic Law Enforcement Academy (approximately 24 hours per week), Police Officer Cadets may perform related duties as assigned by the LRPD Chief of Police.
Upon successful completion of the Basic Law Enforcement Academy within the required timeframe, Police Officer Cadets that have met the hiring requirements as an LRPD Police Officer, and at the discretion of the Chief of Police, may be appointed to the classification of Police Officer with the District.Assignment Responsibilities
POLICE CADET SERVICE OBLIGATION
The Los Rios Community College District will pay for academy attendance, as well as salary and health benefits during this assignment. As a result, a three-year employment commitment as a Police Officer within the Los Rios Community College District will be required. If the employee chooses to terminate his/her employment with the district prior to the expiration of the three year time period, the employee will be expected to reimburse the district for a pro-rated portion of the academy, salary and benefit costs borne during the training period.
The work week is typically Monday through Thursday, 6:00am to 6:00 pm. There is also some Friday and weekend training when the Sacramento Police Academy is in session. The academy runs from July to December of each year.Total Hrs per Week/Day40 hours per weekSpecial Requirements
— Must successfully complete a background investigation prior to hire as Police Officer Cadet, and must be eligible to attend a certified P.O.S.T basic training Academy.
— Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License in compliance with Los Rios Board Regulation R-8343. This position may require operating a District or personal vehicle in order to complete assigned work within the scope of the position duties.Minimum Qualifications
— Must be 21 years old at the time of hire as a Police OfficerApplication Instructions
Applicants must complete the following:
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
4. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.Physical DemandsSalary$16.12 per hourAdditional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note Posting Detail Information Posting Date04/12/2019Closing DateOpen ContinuouslyYesBeginning and/or Ending Dates
The Police Officer Cadet position is open until filledHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/11489Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). Please copy and paste the provided URL for the form - https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/employees/hr/forms/p-881.pdf - and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- If a requirement of the position, do you have the appropriate valid driver's license?
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Letter of Recommendation 2