Graphic Designer (Temporary)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitleGraphic Designer (Temporary)LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)Department LocationPosting NumberC00019PThe Institution
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.Position Summary
Under supervision of the assigned administrator, plans, designs, prepares, and produces graphic arts for production, web applications, printing, and special projects.
For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) position Job Descriptions click here
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year.Assignment Responsibilities
•Carries production from concept to delivery including the design of materials such as class schedules, catalogs, reports, student guides, handbooks, manuals, directories, newsletters, brochures, programs, invitations, advertisements, posters, letterhead, logos, business cards, presentation slides, forms and charts in support of instructional, student services, and campus-related activities.
•Uses computer-based, photomechanical, and traditional methods to implement and maintain print production standards; oversees photo shoots and/or selects appropriate photos for projects; performs all computer based layout and preparation for printer and/or directly to film; and prepares all files on a computer.
•Trains staff on various graphics software products.
•Gathers, refines and enhances information required to develop campus website
•Analyzes website’s structural foundation and functional specifications; evaluates digital design software for use with web page development
•Designs site including home page, college services pages, department and division pages
•Creates, develops and maintains website using design strategy, information design, interactive design, information architecture, and user interface design
•Uses computer based and traditional methods to implement and maintain high quality digital design production
•Ensures the pages are communicated effectively and efficiently to target audiences with appropriate navigational hierarchies, integrated multiple media, and dynamic/interactive components
•Creates, manipulates and stores images for optimal usage in web publications and creates database of images that can be sourced, both for print and web imaging.
•Maintains skills in the field of digital design/technology including web page design, raster imaging, page composition, multimedia, site management application, Internet browsers, social media and file compression formats.
•Performs related duties as required.
To be determined.
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year.Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.Special Requirements
Portfolio, to be submitted at the time of interview showing samples of work in all areas of competency. Show demonstrated skills in design, layout, typography, printing, and use of photographs.Minimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE: Two years successful experience in graphic design production; freelance work in graphic design production desirable in business, industry, design firm, advertising agency or college setting. Must possess a solid production background. Experience using computer graphics software and related equipment.
EDUCATION: Minimum of two years of college with a concentration in art and design, including emphasis in illustration, layout, and production. Additional successful experience in graphic design may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed LRCCD Classified Application (required).
2. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required).
3. Portfolio – Submit samples of your work or provide a URL (link) to access your work (portfolio) online when applying to this position (required).
4. Resume (recommended).
5. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
6. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
- Individuals who have completed colleges or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as unofficial transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios CCD employees to provide transcripts for the application process, if required by position. Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/2098Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). Please copy and paste the provided URL for the form - https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/employees/hr/forms/p-881.pdf - and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5