Sr. Academic Advisor
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Sr. Academic Advisor
Job ID 3711
Location Loop Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
The Academic Advisor in the College of Communication, reporting to the Director of Advising, is responsible for holistic academic advising of College of Communication students from the initial point of interest in the College to degree conferral. This advising includes but is not limited to advising prospective and current students on the College of Communication degree programs, choosing curricula to meet degree requirements, exploring interests, strengths and weaknesses, and career goals, and actively monitoring timely progress to degree. This position advises students in all communication majors, including transfer students. This position requires extensive knowledge of University and College policy and procedure and curriculum.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Advises College of Communication students on course selection, major selection, career opportunities, and tuition/financial aid implications of academic performance.
- This advising requires frequent referrals and consultation with various university offices, regular student appointments, and timely responses to numerous student emails.
- Actively monitors progress toward degree for an assigned caseload of students, beginning at quarterly and summer Premiere DePaul and Transition DePaul orientation programs and continuing through degree completion.
- Performs quarterly preaudits and final audits for all degree conferral applicants.
- Meets with students on academic probation each quarter and makes decisions regarding continuation of degree or academic dismissal, as well as providing counseling and strategies for the return to good academic standing.
- Works with transfer students on applicability of transfer coursework to DePaul degree program.
- Actively updates and maintains Degree Progress Report for advisees.
- Plans and/or participates actively in large projects or events that contribute to the College’s efforts related to student success.
- This could include but is not limited to one or more of the following: coordination and management of the College Special Exceptions Committee, planning and executing the yearly commencement ceremony, updating and monitoring the University Catalog, serving as the BlueStar liaison, and the writing, interpretation, and maintenance of complex data and queries.
- Collaborates with leadership team and faculty to connect staff input with faculty expertise regarding strategic planning for the College.
- This includes but is not limited to providing suggestions for course scheduling, degree program development, presentations on student opinion and desires, waitlist monitoring, prerequisite checking, and course limit monitoring.
- Participates in university events, committees, professional development, and other duties as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- BA Degree.
- 3-5 years of advising experience preferably at a university, or the equivalent.
- MA in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or a related field.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse student, faculty, and staff population.
- Knowledge of MS Office and web browser tools.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Knowledge of University operations.
- High standard of professional conduct, ethics, and confidentiality.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
FOR CONSIDERATION PLEASE SUBMIT A COVER LETTER WITH YOUR RESUME.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: