Job Number: 84437
The Stanford Center for Biomedical Ethics (SCBE) is a national leader in bioethics research and ethics consultation, especially on cutting-edge ethical issues related to emerging biotechnologies such as genomic testing and gene editing. SCBE seeks a Web Developer to work with Stanford faculty who are at the forefront of bioethics and pioneers in bioinformatics to develop an innovative web-based platform that will serve as the core of a new Center for Ethical, Legal and Social Implications (ELSI) Resources and Analysis (CERA). CERA is funded by the ELSI Research Program of the National Human Genome Research Institute at the National Institutes of Health. The goal of the CERA is to enhance the production and use of research on the ethical, legal, and social implications of genetics and genomics by ELSI and genome researchers, clinicians, scholars, journalists, policy makers, community members and other stakeholders. The web-based platform will serve as a research knowledge base, a resource to enable curation and synthesis of key topics in the field, and as a locus for community-building.
The Web Developer will work in conjunction with a Software Developer and a Research Librarian as well as with Stanford faculty from the Center for Biomedical Ethics, and the Department of Biomedical Data Science to incorporate a novel ELSI ontology (to be developed as part of this project) and to conduct needs assessment studies.
The Web Developer will author front-end web application code. Should be experienced with HTML/CSS/ES6+ and be familiar with frontend frameworks like React, Vue, Ember, or equivalent. Should be familiar with using RESTful or GraphQL APIs to create dynamic data-driven page layouts. Should also be competent with visual frameworks like Bootstrap, Foundation, Semantic UI, or Material UI. Good oral and written communication skills necessary.
- Implement and maintain content management systems, including installation, configuration, theme and plug-in integration, and ongoing support of departmental liaisons using existing platforms and tools.
- Support the development and maintenance of web applications, including building search indexes, integrating web designs, and building small collection websites.
- Monitor and report on website traffic and performance. Perform periodic website audits.
- Perform maintenance duties, such as scripting, adding new content to collections, rebuilding indexes, and maintaining templates and supporting pages.
- Update web pages to ensure site accuracy and currency; perform light web design.
- Interface with existing database, using existing data and discovery tools user interfaces, and tools for specific discovery and delivery environments, such as library online catalogs, to access data stored on web services.
- Produce online content, animated gifs, static buttons, and email and landing pages under the direction of senior web developer and content manager.
- Perform development and maintenance programming for web pages and web applications. Build small applications.
- Evaluate and support user needs, and recommend solutions within existing platforms; maintain and develop documentation and how-to guides for customers.
- Perform selected website administration duties for existing clients. Ensure web server and site technical performance. Perform light troubleshooting and first line support.
* - Other duties may also be assigned.
- Prior experience with web development in an academic research environment.
- Knowledge of biomedical ethics and/or medical terminology.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Associate degree and two years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Good customer service skills and ability to explain technical features to non-technical customers/clients.
- Familiarity with a range of programming and scripting languages.
- Clear understanding of web standards and usability methods.
- In-depth knowledge of content management systems, such as Drupal, including the ability to perform standard installations and configurations.
- Demonstrated proficiency building applications in a web development framework.
- Understanding of systems integration and various web devices and environments.
- Ability to design and implement web services.
- Familiarity with authentication and access control.
- Knowledge of website delivery best practices.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4871
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 84437
Location: School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency