Landscape Technician I
Landscape Technician ITracking Code632-674 Job Description
Reports to: Landscaping Supervisor
Description of Job: The position will perform maintenance duties with the responsibility for the appearance and general care of all aspects of University grounds including but not limited to parking lots, roads, walkways, exterior signage, snow removal, salt spreading, plantings, mowing, and trash pick-up.
Moves & Set-Ups
- Perform furniture moves as per work orders
- Move furniture and various items to University surplus
- Complete the set-up and tear-down for campus events
- Ability to perform work with prolonged standing, bending, lifting, pushing or pulling, and working in cramped areas
- Average physical strength for lifting and or carrying objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Work from a ladder and work with arms and hands overhead
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
Hours: Hours will be Monday-Friday from 7:00-3:30. Hours and days may vary depending on weather conditions and event requirements. On call 24/7 as well as some weekend work.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
- Working knowledge of computers for tasks including reading email, logging hours and entering work order information. Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work independently, but also an excellent collaborator and team player
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to creatively overcome obstacles
- Skilled in working with a diverse academic community and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge and ability to operate various types of equipment including power mowers, saws, weed eaters, hedge trimmers, sprayers, zero-turn mowers; bobcat; backhoe, forklift, etc.
- Ability and safety knowledge to operate work trucks, grounds tractors, weed eaters, push mowers, and other equipment used to maintain grounds
- Degree in ornamental horticulture, or related fields, is desirable.
- High School Diploma
- Must have a valid driver’s license and pass all University driving requirements.
- One to three years of experience and formal training in grounds management.