Academic Assistant - Institutional Student Worker (Fall 2019)
Position Title:Academic Assistant - Institutional Student Worker (Fall 2019) Campus Location:Oconee Job Close Date:10/24/2019 General Summary:
The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for two Academic Assistants in the Chemistry classroom and lab setting. Applicants should follow safety requirements in working in a chemistry lab and following directions from a supervising professor. Both positions involve assisting students with disabilities in the chemistry setting that may need assistance in accessing equipment.Job Duties & Responsibilities:
The student will:
- Secure equal access for students with disabilities in classrooms, testing facilities, science labs, the libraries, computer labs and the assistive technology lab. Circumstances requiring instructor time and flexibility in classes may result in the instructor's inability to provide a legally required accommodation and therefore, an Academic Assistant is provided through the Student Disability Services.
- Serve to assist the student in completing class assignments or exams
- Perform common tasks for academic assistants are providing assistance with manipulating objects and materials in science labs, library assistance with research for class projects, and reading/scribing for exams or major documents like a thesis or proposal. The Academic Assistant will need to be available during every class session and exam as listed on the course syllabus.
- Academic Assistants must have knowledge in working safely in a scientific setting. This includes, but is not limited to Chemistry Labs, outside environments, and following procedures. Must maintain confidentiality when required.
- Must be enrolled at the University of North Georgia in a minimum of six (6) credit hours to qualify as a student worker
- Must have had some experience in a lab setting and familiar with safety procedures or willing to learn the appropriate safety procedures to be hired.