Director of Administration and Finance
Lead financial operations and planning for the department/unit that may include payroll, accounting, accounts payable/receivable, procurement, capital projects, endowment funding, research administration, or other function.
This senior position reports to the Faculty Director of the Phillips Brooks House Center for Public Service & Engaged Scholarship (PBH), and provides administrative and financial support to multiple offices (PBHA, CPIC, PSN, MPES), and oversees financial management of PBHA (separate 501C3).
The position is responsible for budgetary and financial oversight of PBH which maintain separate operating, gift, and endowment budgets, and for the administration of sponsored project grants. The position is also responsible for external vendor relationships and contracts. The position also provides budgetary oversight and financial administration to a large, student-led non-profit organization (PBHA) that operates on a separate fiscal year and with separate governance and financial systems, including externally held investments, that must be reconciled to Harvard’s systems and calendar. In this capacity, the incumbent is responsible for regular reports to the PBHA Board of Trustees regarding the organization’s fiscal health, overseeing PBHA’s annual audit, 990 tax filing and non-profit compliance with the Attorney General’s office, ensuring timely financial reports for PBHA’s member programs and grantors, interfacing with constituents regarding financial matters, and informing PBHA long term financial planning.
Works closely with the various staff and student Directors managing Public Service programs to understand their missions in order to provide the Directors full support in terms of operations, staffing and funding. Meets regularly with and mentors PBHA student treasurer regarding PBHA 501C3 fiscal management. Manages program constituent communication and services regarding finances. Leads program implementation efforts as requested.
Supervision and Other Duties
Directly supervises two full time employees, the Financial Associate and Department Administrator. Responsible for assigning duties and evaluating the outcome of their work along with any performance management issues. Has indirect oversight of the maintenance technician and vehicles coordinator, as well as student employees and temporary employees who support the department.
Budgeting and Financial Administration
Prepare and manage the annual PBH budget comprised of CPIC, PSN, PBHA, Mindich Engaged Scholarship & Service to Society in conjunction with program directors. Ensure accurate accounting of incomes and expenses and timely financial reporting internally and externally inclusive of projections. Oversee reconciliation and reporting of PBH gift, endowment, sponsored and UD funds. Manage daily finance officer operations including reimbursements, expense requests, and vendor transactions, and establish and communicate financial management policies, controls, and procedures. Oversee maintenance of PBHA (separate 501c3 organization) financial records and operations to ensure compliance of FASB (financial Accounting Standards Board), including successful completion of PBHA’s annual audit. Monitor regular reconciliation between PBHA non-profit financials and accounts and Harvard financial systems.
Human Resources and Payroll Administration
Manage integrity of payroll and compensation for 22 full time employees, 20 light appointments, and over 300 temporary/ seasonal positions. Responsible for effective staff management, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment.
Lead financial operations and planning for the department including, payroll, accounting, accounts payable, procurement, capital projects and endowment funding.
Typical Core Duties
- Responsible for effective staff management for a group or team of employees, including hiring and orientation, training and development, workflow and performance management, and the promotion of an inclusive and innovative work environment
- Provide guidance, management, and oversight of one or more financial functions, which may include planning, analysis, budgeting, and implementation of processes and policies
- May manage regular processing of all financial transactions
- May develop and manage budget(s)
- Oversee interim year-end financial closing processes
- Analyze metrics and identifies opportunities to streamline processes; develop and implement action plans for improved procedures
- Ensure department’s accurate and timely financial reporting Identify operational challenges; research and implement solutions
- Design, develop and manage financial training
- Represent department to internal and external constituencies
- Ensure financial compliance with University policies and procedures and applicable legal rules and regulations
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
- A minimum of 7 years relevant work experience
- Supervisory experience
- MBA or Master’s degree in relevant field
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, advanced excel skills
- Knowledge of advanced financial operations principles
- Work is performed in an office setting
The position supervises human resources and payroll administration for regular staff in accordance with and in collaboration with FAS-HR guidelines as well as student stipends and payroll working with the Office of Financial Aid and the Student Billing Office.
The position oversees information technology and communications for the department working with HUIT, HWP, and HPAC as well as various news outlets on campus. Interacts with external constituents including alumni, donors, public officials, journalists, and local/national community members.
Supervises facilities and operations staff who maintain the building and program vehicles and interfaces with FAS-OPRP and Campus Services teams.
Supports program operations, including mentoring student officers of PBHA in their administrative oversight roles. The position trains and coaches the incoming student Treasurer of PBHA and works closely with the Treasurer to oversee PBHA financial matters ensuring that PBHA complies with both Harvard and nonprofit financial standards.