Associate Director, Corporate Contracts
Job location: 3600 Civic Center Boulevard - 9th Floor
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-16
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleAssociate Director, Corporate ContractsJob Profile TitleAssociate Director EJob Description SummaryThe Associate Director will report to the Senior Associate Director of Corporate Contracts at the Penn Center for Innovation. As a key member of the Corporate
Contracts team, this individual will be responsible for implementing research agreements on behalf of Penn. Structuring and negotiation of these transactions will be
performed in close coordination with the various PCI business development teams. Primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: (a) Drafting,
reviewing, negotiating and finalizing research-related contracts with industrial partners, including, but not limited to sponsored research, collaboration, data sharing,
corporate services, non-disclosure (CDA) and material transfer agreements (MTA), (b) Providing excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders, (c)
Working closely with PCI's business development teams to identify new commercialization opportunities; (d) Working in partnership with licensing officers to review
non-standard IP provisions in contracts and modify, as required; (e) Problem solve issues associated with corporate contract agreements in coordination with other
administrative offices (e.g. Office of Research Services), Departments and Schools, as required; (f) Providing guidance to Penn staff on Penn research administration
systems and processes, ensuring compliance with electronic research administration systems (e.g. Penn ERA, Inteum and the Research Inventory System); and (g)
Providing direction and guidance to colleagues and various stakeholders on how to navigate Penn's research administration systems.
- Work in partnership with licensing officers and other business development professionals in PCI to (a) review, modify and/or incorporate, as
- necessary, non-standard IP related provisions during contract drafting and negotiation, and (b) help resolve intellectual property issues.
- Work closely with Licensing, Corporate Alliances and PCI Ventures officers to identify new commercialization opportunities and to assist in
the implementation of associated agreements.
- Provide input and guidance to Corporate Contracts administrative personnel and other contract negotiators both within PCI and other Penn
departments e.g. Office of Research Services.
- Providing excellent customer service to Penn faculty, licensing officers and other business development professional, corporate contacts and all
customers/partners both inside & outside of Penn.
- Draft, review, negotiate & finalize sponsored research agreements and collaboration agreements with industrial partners in timely & responsive
- Draft, review, negotiate & finalize other corporate contracts including, but not limited to, service agreements, data sharing agreements,
individual and program consulting agreements, non-disclosure agreements and material transfer agreements in a timely and responsive manner.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Master's degree required, M.D., Ph.D, J.D. or equivalent doctoral degree strongly preferred, plus 5-7 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience; previous experience in contract negotiation; understanding of research environment, preferably in higher education; excellent customer service skills; excellent oral and written communications skills.
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.