Application Deadline: Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Salary & Benefits: Starting salary of $24,960 per the Salary Schedule. Promotional placement is not limited by this amount. Compensation package is comprised of many college paid benefits including health and life insurance, retirement, leave time, and tuition waivers for Santa Fe College and the University of Florida.
Classification: Full-time, Career Service, Pay Grade D, Non-Exempt.
Location: Northwest Campus, 3000 NW 83rd Street, Gainesville, FL 32606
OVERVIEW: Santa Fe College (SF) was recently recognized as the top-rated community college in the United States. Santa Fe College is a student-centered institution with a commitment to open access, academic excellence, and cultural and ethnic diversity. A high quality of life, temperate climate, proximity to the University of Florida, diverse cultural events, and plentiful recreational opportunities make SF and Gainesville an ideal community to work and live. SF enrolls over 16,000 students each semester.
The Senior Custodian leads assigned staff and supports team in daily custodial activities, performing more specialized or complex custodial functions as needed. This position performs a wide variety of custodial and maintenance duties in order to provide a clean and safe environment in and around campus facilities. This position currently works Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Schedules are subject to change with advance notice.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Vacuum carpets, sweep, mop, clean, dust, and strip and wax floors as needed.
- Clean, sanitize, and maintain restrooms using established procedures; check and replenish paper and supplies.
- Clean and polish water fountains, fixtures, interior windows, mirrors, interior/exterior glass doors, and entryways.
- Collect and remove trash and recyclables from all assigned areas in accordance with established procedures.
- Clean and dust baseboards, windowsills, white boards, computers, and desks in all college facilities as assigned.
- Provide assistance with set up and take down of furniture and equipment for campus events as needed.
- May operate manual and power equipment used to clean floors.
- Respond to emergency calls for custodial assistance as needed, which may require additional protocols for safe handling and disposal of blood borne pathogens, hazardous materials, and other non-standard waste.
- Read and comprehend basic instructions, safety data sheets, and product labels.
- Promote and adhere to all recognized safety practices and standards
- May perform the duties of the supervisor when he/she is not available.
- May train new team members in custodial job duties.
- May provide direction for assigned custodial staff in performance of daily duties.
- Perform inspections on work areas maintained by other custodial staff and contracted vendors.
- Unlock and provide access to secured areas for custodial personnel.
- Facilitate the movement of custodial staff between on-campus work locations.
- Assist other trades as needed.
- Provide service excellence through courteous, informed, accessible, and professional engagement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor
REQUIRED: One year of custodial experience.
PREFERRED: Custodial experience in a commercial setting, specialized experience/ training in cleaning and/or leadership and supervisory experience.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: The successful candidate must have a valid Florida Driver License and be authorized to drive for the college (Driving Requirements). A criminal background check will be conducted.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Communication – able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal – highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Results Orientation – proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Organization & Time Management – able to plan, schedule, and organize tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
- Adaptability to Change – able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to positively and proactively assimilate change in rapid growth environment.
- Relationship Management – able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Ethics – able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions
APPLICATION PROCESS: All applicants must complete the SF Employment Application through the job portal to be considered for this position.