Director of Marketing and Communications, #19-068
Location: Cottleville, MO, USA
Pay Rate: Commensurate with experience
Pay Type: Salary
Employment Type: Full-Time Staff
OVERVIEW OF COLLEGE
Founded in 1986, St. Charles Community College (SCC) has a reputation as one of the best two-year colleges in the state of Missouri. With extraordinary faculty and staff, SCC serves a student population of more than 10,000 and a general population of more than 350,000 throughout St. Charles County and beyond. SCC's main campus, located in Cottleville, is a beautiful 12-building campus which has won architectural awards for its innovative, contemporary "educational village" design. The college has a second location in Dardenne Prairie, featuring a state-of-the-art nursing and allied health program. The success of SCC is rooted in the mission of serving our community by "focusing on academic excellence, student success, workforce advancement, and life-long learning within a global society. We celebrate diversity and we enrich the economic and cultural vitality of the region by providing an accessible, comprehensive, and supportive environment for teaching and learning."
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION
Provides overall leadership to the Marketing and Communications Department. As the director, directs workflow of the Graphic Designers, Marketing Specialist, Website Specialist and Marketing Assistant. Moves a multitude of informational and promotional projects to timely completion including creation/concept and/or project management. Makes recommendations to the Vice President and Cabinet for strategies in communications, public relations, marketing, advertising, e-communications, the website, printed publications and other visual media. Protects and enhances the college brand.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists college faculty, staff, and students with their requests for publications, publicity, marketing and other Marketing and Communication Department services.
- Provides immediate supervision, direction and training, as well as creative direction, to the department. Coordinates production deadlines for all editorial and visual assets associated with a project.
- Acts as managing editor of college-wide publications such as the Annual Report. In addition, coordinates production of class schedules and catalog (online and print, as required).
- Writes high-level content for publications (annual reports, viewbooks), news releases, feature stories, the website and special projects, as needed.
- Manages digital marketing assets, establishing and encouraging best practices for access to college photographs and other key digital collateral. Implements and/or maintains department strategies to prevent data loss and to preserve hardware and valuable disk drive space.
- Utilizes publishing and graphics software to design publications, advertisements, and promotional material. Interprets ideas, translate into viable form, and presents to client for review.
- Serves as a contact for internal and external clients and vendors to assess project needs and determine outcomes.
- Stays abreast of current trends, processes, software, and updates on graphic packages; stays informed on the latest information in the graphic design and communications fields.
- Provides recommendations for equipment upgrades and technology including photography equipment, department computers, and computer software with support of IT Department.
- Assists VP and Cabinet with development and execution of college wide marketing plan. Consults with and counsels VP on personnel, workflow, budget, image, and general marketing issues affecting the department.
- Conducts budget development, including quarterly budget review and recommendations including technology decisions.
- Manages advertising budget and make recommendations to VP regarding broadcast and digital advertising purchases. Communicates with outside advertising vendors to secure best placement and rates for college advertising.
- Serves as artistic director of broadcast advertising, including the creative development and execution.
- Assists VP and Cabinet in development and regular examination of key college messaging and image "branding" for the college-at-large as well as with individual clients/areas.
- Writes content for multiple platforms. Coaches staff copywriters for improvement and edit copy produced for high-end print and digital communications.
- Strategizes communication and responds to both sensitive and common inquiries of the media, general public and college community, when needed. Under direction of VP, responds to critical/sensitive topics related to the college open/closed operations, crises, etc.
- Organizes and carries out college events, surveys, and other special projects.
- Manages marketing photography and videography programs, with the purpose and responsibility of procuring high-quality, broad coverage of the college's visual history.
- Participates in committees that require consultation or services; other related duties as required.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will protect and enhance the college brand and support the development and execution of strategic marketing plans that move the college forward and reflect the college mission.
- Bachelor's degree with five or more years progressive professional experience in marketing and communications department or setting.
- Experience in writing high-level content for publications (annual reports, viewbooks), news releases, feature stories, the website and special projects, as needed.
- Knowledge of computer technology and graphic principles for publication design. Specifically, a minimum of three years of print/publications/layout experience with computer publishing system. Utilizes Macintosh system and software, including Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator (mid-level), Photoshop (mid-level), and InDesign (mid-level), Internet systems, Microsoft Office Suite (mid-to high-level), computer peripherals (scanners, printers, and external drives) and telephone. Has basic knowledge of PC computers. Understanding and knowledge of photography and photo composition.
- Experience in advertising copywriting for print and broadcast media, publications, scripts, website content including Associated Press stylebook writing, editing, and proofreading knowledge.
- Experience with managing staff, strategic marketing and communications plan development, promotions, and special event organization. Experience using data and analytics to support decision making.
- Experience and/or skills in website strategy development and e-communications.
- High level of organizational, analytical, and "people" skills and ability to make independent decisions. Supervisory skills, high-level verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to juggle several projects and handle periods of high-pressure and deadline stress required.
- Master's degree in mass communications, journalism, or related field with three or more years experience.
- Mid-level photography experience.