Police Communication Dispatcher (Temporary) - (Revised Experience)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Posting TitlePolice Communication Dispatcher (Temporary) - (Revised Experience)LocationLos Rios Community College District (District Office)Department LocationPolice DepartmentPosting NumberC00060PThe Institution
The Los Rios Community College District (LRCCD) is the second largest, two-year public college district in California, serving approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The district’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake and Sacramento City colleges. In addition to each college’s main campus, the district offers educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk Grove, Natomas and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios district office is centrally located in the heart of the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a great place to live and work!
The district has approximately 4,000 employees throughout our four colleges and district office in dozens of different departments that provide welcoming, inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students, employees and community partners. Each and every district and college department strives for the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and is focused on improving educational outcomes for the students we serve.
Our colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student success centered education. Our objective is to help our students successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associate degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand career fields.
The Los Rios Community College District’s Human Resources Department is committed to diversity, equity, and to ensuring an inclusive, thriving environment for all of its employees, students, and surrounding communities. To that end, the Human Resources Department is intentional in recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse employees, to reflect the diversity of our colleges’ student populations.Position Summary
Under the direction of the appropriate supervisor, operates computer, telephone and radio communications equipment to receive emergency calls and routine calls for service; provides information, dispatches police and emergency personnel; types, files and performs a wide variety of clerical support duties in the police department and/or other departments.
For a detailed job description for this Los Rios Classified Employee’s Association (White Collar) position Job Descriptions click here
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year.Assignment Responsibilities
● Operates a variety of communications equipment, such as telephone, two-way radio, and computer aided dispatch system.
● Forwards complaints as appropriate.
● Answers inquiries regarding the District and surrounding areas, services available, and related District procedures.
● Receives emergency calls for service and dispatches police, emergency personnel, or maintenance personnel.
● Requests assistance as needed from local public safety agencies.
● Documents all incoming calls and unusual incidents.
● Maintains contacts with all field units.
● Checks for outstanding warrants or prior offenses on suspects.
● Reviews files, records, and other documents to respond to requests.
● Maintains and updates files for the department.
● Assigns report numbers.
● Maintains crime statistics for Cleary Act and related reports.
● Accesses information on stolen property, vehicle registration, and other information from statewide computer networks.
● Performs a wide variety of clerical support duties carry out broadcasts.
● Opens and routes incoming mail.
● Maintains parking permits using database system.
● Performs a wide variety of records functions such as process reports for the District Attorney’s office, review citations for accuracy and process for the court, enter citations into the county wide database, file reports, conduct CAD searches for background checks, prepare letters to be sent to victims of stolen property or vehicles, and prepare Detention Certificates.
● Performs related duties as assigned.
To be determined.
NOTE: Short-term temporary employees shall not be employed for more than 135 days, or 960 hours, whichever is reached first, in any fiscal year.Total Hrs per Week/DayTo be determined.Special Requirements
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a medical evaluation and a complete background investigation.Minimum Qualifications
EXPERIENCE: Two years of work experience involving direct contact with the general public.
EDUCATION: Possession of currently valid P.O.S.T. Public Safety Dispatch certificate or successful completion of the P.O.S.T. Public Safety Dispatcher’s course within one year of the date of hire. NOTE: One year of college level business and clerical course work may be substituted for one year of required experience.
Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and employment environment.
(Experience Requirement: One year of experience is equal to 12 months of experience at a maximum of 40 hours per week. Applicable part-time experience will be converted to the full-time equivalent for purposes of meeting the experience requirement. Education Requirement: 15 units are equal to six months of education; 30 units are equal to one year of education.)Application Instructions
1. A completed Los Rios Community College District Classified Application (required).
2. Resume (recommended).
3. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work (required if using education to meet the Minimum Qualifications of this position).
4. Two (2) letters of recommendation (recommended).
5. Letter of Interest (recommended).
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
NOTE: Applications submitted without all required documents, listed above, will be disqualified. Applicants indicating “see resume” on the online application will be disqualified.
Also, Individuals who have completed college or university course work at an institution in a country other than the United States must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees and other relevant documents. A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations are ONLY accepted from AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) agencies or evaluators. Click Foreign Transcript Evaluations on the Human Resources Services page for details.
- Within 60 days of the time of hire, employees are required to submit official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be accepted as official transcripts.
- It is the responsibility of Los Rios Community College District employees to also provide official transcripts, if required in the minimum qualification for the position.
After hours inquiries should be emailed to [email protected] Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m., of the posting closing date.Physical DemandsSalary$19.03 per hour LRCCD Salary SchedulesAdditional Salary InformationNo additional salary information to note Posting Detail Information Posting Date12/08/2016Closing DateOpen ContinuouslyYesBeginning and/or Ending Dates
N/AHow and where to apply
Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions for complete information on how to apply online with our District. Application services are available between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, at the Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Office located at 1919 Spanos Court, Sacramento, CA 95825-3981. If you need assistance with any phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 or come in during our business hours. Submission of applications are by midnight of the posting closing date.Conditions
All Positions: Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days of hire.Quicklinkhttp://jobs.losrios.edu/postings/2467Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Criminal History Verification and Release: I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering the question below, I certify that the information provided by me is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to complete the form "Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime", P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed, copy and paste the provided link, for the form <a href="https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/jobs/forms/P-881.pdf" target="_blank">https://losrios.edu/docs/lrccd/jobs/forms/P-881.pdf</a> and attach the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to – where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community Colleges
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime Document
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5