Appointment , Promotion & Tenure Coordinator
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-08-20
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The department of Medicine is actively seeking an Appointment, Promotion & Tenure Coordinator. The person in this position oversees and coordinates department and/or school-wide academic departmental processes for appointment, promotion and tenure (APT) of faculty. This role proactively conducts regular meetings with Vice Chairs of Administration (VCA) and/or Department Chairs to assess their needs as it relates to appointments, promotions and tenure. Key responsibilities of this job include coordination of resources through academic departments, to ensure the appointment, promotion and tenure process is progressing in accordance with applicable procedures and guidelines.
- Consults with management and business units to provide full service faculty support and guidance for faculty appointment, reappointment, promotion and tenure process.
- Conducts regular meetings with respective business units, VCAs and HR Managers to understand current and future appointment, reappointment, promotion and tenure needs.
- Supports faculty appointment, special reviews and reappointments including faculty voting, secondary appointment, reappointment, promotion and tenure processes.
- Recommends operating policies and procedural improvements.
- Provides guidance and interpretation of the faculty manual as it applies to appointment, reappointment, promotion and tenure process.
- Designs and creates curriculum related to the appointment, promotion and tenure process.
- Facilitates faculty appointment, promotion and tenure training and classes.
- Prepares materials and answers inquiries from participants.
- Serves as back-up strategic business partner to respective business units for all faculty issues.
- Assists the appropriate office in the final preparation of files for final review and approval.
- Supports department/s with surveying their faculty, on an annual basis, to determine appropriate action (i.e. track transfer, promotion and or award of tenure by sending out a written questionnaire from the Chair).
- Ensures faculty members submit an updated CV and list of external reviewers to the appropriate designee.
- Provides a report to the Department Chair and/or VCA of the faculty who have requested to be considered for an action.
- Follows up with Department Chairs to get final list of candidates and reviewers.
- Assesses letter writers for arm’s length status consistent with principles, in accordance with the faculty manual and processes of the Miller School faculty council.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, reports and correspondence
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
- Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems
- Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office)
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c105